1.04 to 1.008 in 4 days

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ChickenSoop

Reaction score
I brewed up a cream ale from 7 lbs extract and some hops, finished putting in the primary Friday Jan 2, at midnight.

OG: 1.04 (a bit lower than wanted)
Just now, tuesday, 13:30 pm, SG: 1.008

Ready for secondary tomorrow.

Still a couple of floaters on it which hopefuly sink overnight.

The smell is so sweet. Almost want to dive in for a swim with all my friendly yeasties.

:ban::ban::ban:

I'd leave it in the primary for at least a week more. Let the yeast clean up the fermentation by-products. Don't be in too big a hurry.

My primary is like a large plastic bucket with a snap on lid. Not air tight, no air lock.

Do you think this primary is ok to last a week before transferring to secondary which is sealed with an airlock?

My primary is like a large plastic bucket with a snap on lid. Not air tight, no air lock.

Do you think this primary is ok to last a week before transferring to secondary which is sealed with an airlock?

Yes, leave it in there for a couple weeks. Personally, I would leave it for 4 weeks but that's me. I like clean tasting, clear beers.

i'd leave it... if i wasn't down to 4 bottles of my last brew, I'd have waited a little longer. I popped the top to my fermenter and could still see some action happening after 2 weeks in the primary.

I use a typical ale pail, but I tape up the joint between the top and the bucket with tyvek tape to ensure that it's a full air-tight seal.

Back