First IPA...its explosive

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Home Brewski

Reaction score
Made my first IPA and finished brewing it yesterday. I put it in my closet with an airlock. Came home today with the airlock all gummed up and beer laying on the lid of my primary. This is a LOT more active than the hefe that I made prior. I put on a blow off tube into a bucket and it is just constantly spewing CO2.

Good sign at this point, all that malt is making for some great food I guess.

Home Brewski said:
Made my first IPA and finished brewing it yesterday. I put it in my closet with an airlock. Came home today with the airlock all gummed up and beer laying on the lid of my primary. This is a LOT more active than the hefe that I made prior. I put on a blow off tube into a bucket and it is just constantly spewing CO2.

Good sign at this point, all that malt is making for some great food I guess.

That's why I always use a blowoff tube for my primaries.

i just made my IPA as well and noticed i had ALOT of activity. WAY more than I had with my Sierra Nevada clone.

Seems to have died down pretty good now after fermenting for 2.5 days.

For all of my primaries (except lagers) I use a blow off tube, with a fermenter size of 5 gallons. The tube does get kinda nasty, but that is what bleach water is for. Let er soak in there for a few days followed by a good rinse and you are good to go!

Back