stingy on tounge carbonation? cause?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bradfordmonk

Reaction score
So its been about two weeks since bottling, let it sit in fridge for about a week. I am getting a almost stingy kind of carbonation on the tounge. Had similar thing with other beers. Is it too much priming sugar? What could cause this taste?

So its been about two weeks since bottling, let it sit in fridge for about a week. I am getting a almost stingy kind of carbonation on the tounge. Had similar thing with other beers. Is it too much priming sugar? What could cause this taste?

It maybe should'a could'a been right by now. But most are not good until 8 weeks grain to glass. So give it some time and try again. The sharp taste is not abnormal early on.

I am using 6.38 oz of priming (corn sugar) for 5 gallons.

beer was done fermenting...1.020 reading over a few days. I had another one with similar issue, but that was a combination of things I know I used too much priming sugar, but the bottles didn't foam out either, but when poured would foam like crazy.

It maybe should'a could'a been right by now. But most are not good until 8 weeks grain to glass. So give it some time and try again. The sharp taste is not abnormal early on.

yea this one might be young...but concerned me as my other one is like that and its been in bottles for about a year.

I have gotten flavors like that at 2 weeks before in a brown ale I did recently. At 3 then 4 weeks the flavor was completely gone. Sounds like its young.

I cracked an IPA I bottled a week ago. I know it's way too early. It is undrinkable bitter (and I like bitter IPA). I'm expecting it to mellow out over the next few weeks.

I am using 6.38 oz of priming (corn sugar) for 5 gallons.

beer was done fermenting...1.020 reading over a few days. I had another one with similar issue, but that was a combination of things I know I used too much priming sugar, but the bottles didn't foam out either, but when poured would foam like crazy.

The "stinging" comes from the high carbonation level. With 6.38 ounces of priming sugar, I assume you wanted a high carb level. One of the things with a high carb level is a higher level of carbonic acid bite- which is that stinging on the tongue from such a high level of carbonation.

If you want less carbonation next time, I'd suggest using no more than 1 ounce of corn sugar per finished gallon of beer for most beers, and .75 ounce per gallon for less carbonated styles.

The "stinging" comes from the high carbonation level. With 6.38 ounces of priming sugar, I assume you wanted a high carb level. One of the things with a high carb level is a higher level of carbonic acid bite- which is that stinging on the tongue from such a high level of carbonation.

If you want less carbonation next time, I'd suggest using no more than 1 ounce of corn sugar per finished gallon of beer for most beers, and .75 ounce per gallon for less carbonated styles.

i've been getting my numbers from the northern brewer priming calculator. but i'll try that. half the amount I've been using seems more accurate. any way to take away that 'bite' after the fact?

Not really,no. What you're experiencing is carbonic acid from over carbonating. Try not to go all the way up to maximum carbonation listed for the style. Use a co2 by volume number that's in the middle of the range,or a point or two higher. It sounds like you're using the maximum co2 by volume number.

Carbonic acid elicits a pain response from nerves in your mouth, tongue, lungs. If you have ever stuck your head into a fermenter full of CO2 and inhaled you will know what I am talking about. If the hits are small enough and far enough apart you don't experience them as pain. Quite the contrary, you experience them as pleasurable (I know I'm starting to get on thin ice here so think about chilli peppers instead of whatever else it is you are thinking about).

Let the beer sit in the glass for a few minutes to let come of the CO2 escape and you should be OK.

Back