Very old Home brew. Is it safe

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kwf904

Reaction score
Hi, Many years ago (10+) I did a little home brewing. Just today I was cleaning out a closet and came across 2 six packs of beer I had brewed way back when. It has about 1/8" of crud on the bottom of each bottle. Should I even consider drinking this stuff or just toss it?
Thanks
Jim

drink it. Maybe? It probably won't be any good, but it won't kill you. Just don't pour the yeast on the bottom into the glass.

Should be safe to drink! That 1/8 of crud is just sediment. Be safe not to pour that into the glass and you're good to go!

Not long ago I was gifted two boxes of homebrew stuff by a guy who pulled it out of his Florida attic. Among other things it contained nine sealed, full Grolsch bottles of homebrew. Here's what we knew about that brew:

1) It had been brewed in 1994.
2) It had been brewed by relatively inexperienced college students.
3) THEY hadn't bothered to drink it in 1994, and
4) It had been sitting in a FLORIDA ATTIC for years.

I took a couple of the bottles to our homebrew club meeting, described the foregoing and asked for volunteers. Nearly everyone at the meeting chose to taste this stuff.

Not toxic. Not even distasteful. Thin, watery and flat with sherry overtones.

TASTE it.

Get one of your buddies and offer him ten bucks to try it.....as long as he doesn't fall over then it's ok. Seriously though, I'm as long as theres alcohol in it I'm sure it's safe, but might not taste very good:cross:

Thanks for the replies (got a good chuckle). I guess I might have to give it a taste.

I was gathering my Grolsch bottles last month to bottle a batch of ale that was ready...I knew I had 24 but could find only 23...I looked everywhere, then I checked the garage fridge and found number 24. It had a hef in it that I had brewed in 05 or 06...can't remember. Popped it open and, to my surprise, it was really good. I was sure it would taste like chit but after 6+ years, it was still good.

Stick that beer in the fridge and give it a try...you may be surprised.

there's a well near Alliance, NE that has a bunch of home brew on the bottom that's nearing 50 years if the caps haven't corroded off. I know the farm neighbors Car-henge. if any of y'all are brave enough...

there's a well near Alliance, NE that has a bunch of home brew on the bottom that's nearing 50 years if the caps haven't corroded off. I know the farm neighbors Car-henge. if any of y'all are brave enough...

Road trip!

Latest posts

Back