Opening beer bottles without a proper opener? What objects have you used?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

What common object have you used to open a beer bottle?

• Cigarette Lighter

• Fork, Spoon or knife blade

• Inner door latch or hinge on a vehicle door

• Edge of a countertop, deck rail or board

• Other (share!)

Results are only viewable after voting.

Jayhem

Reaction score
So I was reading about a member using his wedding ring to open beer bottles and it got me thinking; I've always loved craft beer so naturally I have often been without my opener and had to use some other inanimate object to open my beer bottle.

I have posted the list of objects I've frequently used to open beer bottles, wondering how many others have used the same things!

Post up your stories!

#1: lighter (though I don't smoke someone always has a lighter)
#2: handle of fork or butter knife
#3: the inner door latch hook on a vehicle
#4: The edge of a countertop, deck rail or board

Paint Can Opener

opener.jpg

I used to use a door knob when I had to. Hold the cap up to it and hit the top of the bottle with your other hand. Works great until you slip and the bottle cap takes a giant chunk out of your finger. I now find the edge of my gorilla shelves in the garage works best.

I used to use a door knob when I had to. Hold the cap up to it and hit the top of the bottle with your other hand. Works great until you slip and the bottle cap takes a giant chunk out of your finger. I now find the edge of my gorilla shelves in the garage works best.
That or you snap the neck of the bottle, cut your hand and have glass shards in your beer! I believe I did that once in the dark while drinking a bit too much. :tank:

Cell phone
How is that possible without destroying part of the phone?! B-A though! :rockin:

I use the edge of my pocket knife.
I don't know when the last time I used a real bottle opener was.

I have used an open end wrench. I popped the top ring of glass off the bottle when I did it so I won't be doing that again, or if I do I'll use something bigger than a 5/8 wrench.

SWMBO and I went to the Dominican Republic to an all inclusive resort with a nice mini-bar in the room...but the bottle opener was ripped off of the wall (not a big loss, the el presidente beer was just awful), however, the lamp in the corner of the room has an interesting wrought iron pattern that worked nicely as a bottle opener.

wrench, hammer, rock, another bottle, carabiner, ice axe, TV remote, cell phone, screwdriver, can of beer, lighter, fork/spoon/knife, back side of large knife, axe, anything with a firm edge...

watching people do this with their teeth makes me cringe!

watching people do this with their teeth makes me cringe!

I agree! That is pure stupidity! I had a friend who used to open screw-top bottles with his navel back in college. What people will do at a party for attention!

Oh, and apparently you can open the car window a crack, put the edge of the cap in the crack, then roll the window up, popping the cap off (and hopefully not breaking the window.)

My roommate showed me a video of a great divide employee he knows using a chainsaw to open a beer... i thought it was pretty rad. Ill post it if i can find it.

Ive used a knife, lighter, wrench a few times... most unique ive done is opened a bottle with randal longboard trucks.

Oh, and apparently you can open the car window a crack, put the edge of the cap in the crack, then roll the window up, popping the cap off (and hopefully not breaking the window.)

You going to try this one and report back? :D

Was pretty inebriated and used my cell phone. Needed duct tape to hold the battery cover on but it still worked!

When I have 2 bottles, I typically just use one to pop the cap off the second. Why bother looking for openers when it's so easy. I often get quizzical looks but it's really simple.

When down to the last bottle, this method no worky. :(

yes, I'm one of those idiots who has used his teeth, back in my late teens. (drinking age was 18 at the time)

chipped a tooth and never did it again

My neighbor has a johnboat that had an interestingly shaped "lip" on the outside. Guess what. It's perfect to pop a bottle. He's been showing that off to his friends all the time now. [The redneck factor is pretty high on that one]

I've used a soda/beer can to open a bottle. Works fine. (hint: Use the top's harder edge).

The underside of a stapler (another hard edge).

Miller (in Canada) used to have twist-offs, and the bottom of the bottle was made to remove another bottle's twist-off. Like this. They called it "B-O-B", Bottle-opening-bottle.

MC

If you fold a regular piece of paper enough times you can easily open a bottle. Had to do this one time in a hotel room with no openers.

A buddy of mine taught me how to use just about anything stiffer than cardboard that has a decent edge to it so I've tried anything handy. However, my son got me a real mans opener for father's day
20121204_150216.jpg

I guess for some a real man's opener would have to be made from old Chevy parts but Craftsman works for me!

My shoes. XD Reef sandals have bottle openers in the soles, which I thought was the most stupid idea when I bought them, but I end up using it at least every two months when someone forgets an opener. :D

Reef-Fanning-Sandal-Bottle-Opener.jpg

Besides that, the usual table edges, curbs, a dolly...

I use my wedding ring and when I do, there's usually one guy in the crowd that needs to learn. I warn them that I have a tungsten ring and it doesn't stratch.

A lighter is my go-to, in case I don't have a bottle opener with me. However, I was tempted to pick up a set of bottle opener cuff links on ThinkGeek, until it occurred to me that I never cuff links, even though I should.

Don't know if this is a "proper bottle opener" or not but it definitely comes in handy from time to time. I keep it in my wallet so I always have it with me.

image-4209755351.jpg

I went to college at an Ag school. I can almost guarantee that I can open a beer bottle with something within 5' of me at any given time.

pelle_us_parc.jpg

This is the very best bottle opener I ve ever used. I am actually wondering if this is not the primary function of this tool ;)

Back