Lowering OG in primary

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fishersfirst

Reaction score
Hi,

I've just done my first AG batch and I've overshot my OG. This was due to miscalculating the pre-boil quantity I needed to finish on 5 gal.

My OG finished at 1.072 (aiming for 1.060)

I'd already added the cooled wort to my pitched yeast and decided later to add 3/4 gal bottled water to my primary, which had been on the go for about 2 hrs to lower the OG to my desired 1.060.

Is this going to be a problem??

Cheers:)

I keep small bottles of spring water around just for this. I've got my system down that I can take a reading at the end of the boil and know how many if any bottles I have to put in. Just yesterday, 10 gallon batch came in a little high, 2 bottles...dead on. No worries. :)

Remember though that measuring the OG accurately on fresh AG is tough. I used to get all worried about the OG too. But now I just use brewing software and double check the weights of the grain. I actually find a refraction ether more reliable for checking wort.
You could wait to see the FG too or instead and adjust with water from there. But approaching 1.070 is a concern for some yeast strains, so maybe this was wise insurance.
I'd be interested to hear how your FG turned out.

Thanks guys.

I've used brewing software for my calculations. I think I came in a bit high because I didn't think the software was giving me accurate mash measurements so I decided to tinker with things a bit (lesson learned)
I've measured my BG and OG at the same temp.
The math I did in my head to add the extra bottled water was spot-on though, as it ended up at exactly what I aimed for at 1.060

Back