oktoberfest, kits and planning

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

marosell

Reaction score
What are traditional Oktoberfest beers? Anyone know of really good kits for them?

If I plan on brewing up anything else in the next two months, I need to make sure I've planned enough time for an Oktoberfest beer in my fermenting calendar :)

bummer. well I can't do a lager anyways, because I don't have a way to brew in cooler temperatures. but perhaps there is an ale kit out there that tries to imitate the flavor? any ideas?

Maybe try an alt? Though commercial alts are typically lagered, many of the HBS kits (AHS, NB, etc.) are set up to be brewed as ales. They'll likely have more hop character than an Oktoberfest, but it's probably as close as you'll get using an ale kit.

EDIT: might also want to check this thread for some ideas:
https://www.homebrewtalk.com/showthread.php?t=33782

Last summer I made a Brewer's Best kit, called Octoberfest something or other. It was an ale kit, and it came out really good. It used dry nottingham yeast and was really easy. If you ferment at the cool range of the yeast, it will minimize esters and give you an "Octoberfest-style Ale" and still only take about 6 weeks.

Edit- name is German Oktoberfest.

Bike N Brew said:
Sadly, you're too late. Oktoberfest beers are Marzen-style lagers, brewed in the spring and lagered extensively.

http://www.bjcp.org/styles04/Category3.html#style3B

Ah thats good information to know, I'll be better prepared for next year.

I just started my batch for "Oktoberfest", its made basically from kit parts:

1 Can Cooper's Heritage Lager
1 Can Cooper's Plain Amber Malt
.5 kg Dry CaraVienna Malt
.75 oz Hallertauer hop pellets ( added during last 10 minutes of boil and seeped while wort was cooling )
.75 oz Saaz hop pellets ( planning to dry hop these when I get to the 2nd stage fermentation )
Using the yeast included with the Cooper's Lager kit

Yeah I know its not all that "authentic", but I'm going for something thats pretty Americanized, but hoping to get an Amber color and somewhat maltier flavor.

Its only my second batch, and I've not even got the first batch in bottles yet so wish me luck.

ArroganceFan said:
How long do they usually take to finish? Gotta plan for next year ;)

no one says you have to do them a certain time, that is just when the used to do them and how they got the name....you can make a oktoberfest whenever you want

mot said:
no one says you have to do them a certain time, that is just when the used to do them and how they got the name....you can make a oktoberfest whenever you want

Bike N Brew said they are lagered extensively. Just curious how long the actual lagering takes.

I used the recipe from the Basic Brewing Network podcast on Vienna Lager and it turned out fantastic. Simple Recipe!

9 lbs Vienna
1 lb Munich
0.25 lb CaraVienna
0.25 lb CaraMunich

Tetnanger Hops to 25 IBU's (bittering only) - about 1.5 oz pellets for 1 hr.

Wyeast 2308 Munich Lager

Lagering takes about 6 weeks, but the traditional style was made in March and then lagered until September.

Back