Keezer isn't getting cold enough!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mike1978

Reaction score
i recentley built a keezer with a johnsons temp controller and she was running smooth for 2 months and yesterday i open it up and the inside temp was around 45-50 degrees and ice was building up in one spot near the top of the keezer lip. i checked the temp controller and it was still set at 30 degrees, i can hear the motor running on the freezer. I installed a fan that turned on when the keezer would via the temp controller so i changed it to run constantly now. im not sure what is wrong, coolant? Need suggestions!! Oh, and i checked the seal around the lid and everything looks kosher, no gaps....I also noticed that the motor seems to be running more frequently than normal.

I had the same problem with mine, I added a $15 computer fan to circulated the air. I'm not getting condensation now and the pour off the picnic taps has proper foaming.

Two things I would think to check are the temperature probe and the temp dial on the freezer itself. I put my temp probe in a glass of water to keep the fluctuation steady. Also, be sure the control dial on the actual freezer is set for the coldest it can go.

Ok, i just checked my freezer setting and it was on low so ive turned it to full power and placed the probe in a glass of water. i already have the fan so we'll see if this works.

it doesnt seem to be getting colder. i noticed the motor has been running all day. Maybe the coils have frozen up???? should i unplug the unit and let it sit over night and try again in the morning? Will my beer be ok???

Try cleaning off your coils, dirt and dust bunnies collect on them and reduce there ability to shed the heat. a vacuum should do the trick.

Back