Samuel Smiths Oatmeal Stout

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dnichols

Reaction score
Just brewed this stout. O.G. Was low. 1.40. Should of been around 1.5. What happened? How will the brew turn out? This is the second stout that I have had problems with. Not sure what is going on. All me other brews come out dead on.

badbrew said:
Was it a kit?

No not really. I copied the recipe from Clone Brews and picked up ingredients at my LBHS. Followed directions to the tee. It was an extract brew with steeped grains. Extract was Muntons Light DME.

Did you:

-add water at the end?
-steep the grains properly?
-crush the grains?
-weigh out the ingredients?

All grains were measured out. It was a 2.5 gal boil and added water at end to bring total to 5. Same way I always do it. I am thinking something went on during the steeping process. Steeped as required for 30 min at 150 degrees and sparged. Not sure really. Bottom line what will the outcome be. Lower ABV?

Just racked to secondary as the gravity is still a few points high. I tried a bit. This beer is going to be unbelievable!!

I never seemed to get acurate og readings when Id top up doin partial boils,its hard to get it al mixed together maybe

Latest posts

Back