Need a Recipe!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jjasghar

Reaction score
Hey all....
Ok i'm a UT fan... Go Horns! I'd l'd like a partial mash recipe to give me burnt orange beer. Any takers?

i'm guessing a dunkel heiffi?

the_bird makes "Murder in the Red Barn", a red colored beer. Maybe he could give you some advice on how to make it orangish vs. red? Otherwise, I have no idea, sorry.

A couple pounds of Victory in a pale should give you orange. No more than 10%, or it will give a nutty flavor to the ale.

But, nutty is probably right for ...

mix a slightly dark beer with some orange juice?

j/k, i'm trying to think. it seems i remember a hefe or something that was that color...it was probably a fruit drink or something, tho.

My "Pale As Bone" came out pretty orange-ey. Couple pounds of Vienna malt did it. It was still relatively pale (not "burnt"), so I bet if you added a small amount (like, one ounce, at MOST two) of black malt, or Carafe III, or roasted barley, or maybe a small amount of melanoidin malt, you'd be right there. I used a light crystal (20L, IIRC), I think darker crystals are going to get you closer to brown territory, albeit maybe with some red hues.

You could brew some type of light color wheat maybe Belgian then squeeze a blood orange in it when serving.

Not saying I'd drink it, but people would.

I second the Victory or Vienna options.

Also, a very small amount (like an ounce or two) of chocolate or dark crystal will give you a bit of a reddish hue. Couple that with a cloudy wheat beer, and it might turn a bit orange for you.

Awesome thanks for the heads up guys... i dont have a AG set up (yet) so i'd have to go win partial mash at best.

I think the best answer is to use 13-0 % Vienna......errrr 13.0. Gosh, what was I thinking. See if I Bevo do that again....Err Ever even. *sigh*;)

Drunkensatyr said:
I think the best answer is to use 13-0 % Vienna......errrr 13.0. Gosh, what was I thinking. See if I Bevo do that again....Err Ever even. *sigh*;)

I think that's too much. Probably 12-7, ummm I mean 12.7%, would be best.
fighting30.gif

beeraggie said:
...Go Aggies!!!!:ban:
:off:
An Aggie undergrad was visiting a Yankee relative in Boston over the holidays. He went to a large party and met a pretty coed. He was attempting to start up a conversation with the tired line, "Where do y'all go to school?" The coed was not impressed with his grammar or southern drawl but did answer his question. "Yale," she replied.

The Aggie took a big, deep breath and shouted, "WHERE DO Y'ALL GO TO SCHOOL?"

Hook em!:D

Hopleaf said:
I went to Purdue so I'm just focusing on making a cool boiler. :D

A Purdue grad living in Little Elm, TX??? What bought you there?

I graduated from The Colony HS and lived there during my undergrad (SMU). There wasn't much out there in Little Elm back then. Just a bunch of farm land and rednecks. ;)

Rhoobarb said:
:off:
An Aggie undergrad was visiting a Yankee relative in Boston over the holidays. He went to a large party and met a pretty coed. He was attempting to start up a conversation with the tired line, "Where do y'all go to school?" The coed was not impressed with his grammar or southern drawl but did answer his question. "Yale," she replied.

The Aggie took a big, deep breath and shouted, "WHERE DO Y'ALL GO TO SCHOOL?"

Hook em!:D

:D GO UT! FIGHT FIGHT FIGHT.... football season is only 135 days away.....

God bless Colt and God bless Texas!

Lil' Sparky said:
A Purdue grad living in Little Elm, TX??? What bought you there?

I graduated from The Colony HS and lived there during my undergrad (SMU). There wasn't much out there in Little Elm back then. Just a bunch of farm land and rednecks. ;)

Wife and I bought a house out there. You'd probably not recognize the place.. the suburban sprawl has arrived :)

The dallas north tollway will soon go all the way to 380 and their building a bridge over the lake connecting Little Elm to Lewsville.

Latest posts

Back