Few random questions

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

UrbanBrew

Reaction score
I have this Muntons Nut Brown that has been fermenting for 4 weeks now but I have a few questions before bottling.

With wine the longer it stays in one vessel the better it is in the end. Is this also true for beer?

Is "conditioning" part of the carbing process, or can conditioning happen in the fermenter?

I'm thinking about separating out 1-2 gallons to age longer. Is it still possible to add honey to that 1-2 gallons? If so what would be the process?

Thanks for the help.
:fro:

With wine the longer it stays in one vessel the better it is in the end. Is this also true for beer?

To a point, yes... but that's also true of wine. There is a time limit to get it off the lees.

Is "conditioning" part of the carbing process, or can conditioning happen in the fermenter?

Conditioning before bottling is good for new brewers, to help get rid of off flavors. That being said, bottling is another fermentation, and produces side products of its own (temporarily)... so the beer is actually worse until it is fully carbed. The best conditioning is done in the bottle if you are a bottle-brewer.

I'm thinking about separating out 1-2 gallons to age longer. Is it still possible to add honey to that 1-2 gallons? If so what would be the process?

Sure, you can add it. Do you want the beer to eat the honey? If so, just dissolve it in boiling water to kill germs and then dump it on in there... it will add to the alcohol but not much in the way of flavor. Lots of people have also used honey as bottling sugar. If you want to add honey flavor to your beer, Gambrinus grain is actually your best bet.

I have this Muntons Nut Brown that has been fermenting for 4 weeks now but I have a few questions before bottling.

Yes, to a point. You can allow it to further condition in your bottle, though

No. Carbing is racking to bottling bucket w/~.75 cup corn sugar. The beer has to be contained in a closed container to force CO2 into the solution.

Again, the beer will age just fine in the bottle. Never used honey, so I'll defer to others.

Thanks for the help.

Good luck with your beer. Enjoy:mug:

Thanks for the replies. I do want the beer to have a slight honey flavor can gambrinus grain be added at he point?

Thanks for the replies. I do want the beer to have a slight honey flavor can gambrinus grain be added at he point?

There are ways you could go about adding the honey malt (Gambrinus is just the brand name), but at this point you are probably better off just bottling what you have as is. You are better off adding grains to the wort before you pitch your yeast.

Thanks for the help.

Yes.

Yes.

Yes. Process? 1. Add honey. 2. Bottle after fermentation finishes.

No, it's too late to add honey malt to this batch. Just do it next time -- this isn't the last beer you're ever going to brew, is it? ;)

Back