Hopping question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Righlander

Reaction score
so ive decided to make the extract recipe from homebrewtalk.com Amarillo IPA. Ok, so i wasnt happy with the IBUs on the original recipe when i hooked it up to beersmith. so i want to double up on the hops. so i messed around with beersmith and came up with a version with the IBU count quite a bit higher. first off beersmith's amarillo hops said 8.5% AA. but the hops i bought say 7.2% AA. so i changed it with beer smith and came up with a recipe. just need some advice on it..here it is...i have all the ingredients already and plan to brew it tomorrow. just need to know if the hop additions seem ok.

Amarillo IPA:

7lbs extra light DME
1/2lbs Crystal 40 (steep @ 160f 20 mins)
3.5 gal boil
2.00 oz Amarillo Gold [7.20 %] (60 min)
1.00 oz Amarillo Gold [7.20 %] (15 min)
1.00 oz Amarillo Gold [7.20 %] (5 min)
1.00 oz Amarillo Gold [7.20 %] (Flameout)
1 Pkgs California Ale (White Labs #WLP001)
i have one more oz of amarillo that i can use at any point if need be

Looks great to me. If you want to use that last ounce then I'd dry-hop with it to get some additional aroma.

I brew a very similar recipe all that time. Drop-hop your beer with that last oz of hops. It will turn out fantastic.

Back