Airlines all suck. Baggage Fees and overpriced flights

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SwampassJ

Reaction score
So if I was to take this continental flight from Ft. Lauderdale to Newark it is 317 dollars.

If I take the same flight to Newark, but re-board the plane after 2 hours and go to Philadelphia the price is 250 dollars.

So if I take up an available seat from Newark to Philadelphia I spend less, than a direct flight into Newark.

Any airlines other than southwest that don't charge for Baggage?

Airlines all suck. Baggage Fees and overpriced flights

Well...duh! :p

It's about half the price to fly my mother out here for a round trip than for me to go there, even though they are essentially the same flights.

Fortunately, this works out to my advantage because I don't have to go to Iowa!

:D

What if you accidentally miss your connection to Philly?

One time I spent some time in Ireland, then in Italy. I ended up buying round trip tickets to both countries, because for some reason it was much cheaper than buying one way ticket to Ireland, and one way home from Italy. I just never used the other half of either.

You know how much an over-weight bag charge is on Delta? $90
You know how much a second bag costs on Delta? $32
That is stupid.

It was quite a scene when I was standing in the middle of SFO digging through my bag trying to move 5 lbs of dirty clothes into carry on bag. At one point I started flinging out all my dirty underwear hoping I would offend someone.

Once I was at an airport (either MSY or ATL) and my bag was over by about 2lbs. The guy asked how I would be paying the fee (like $15 at the time). I asked where the certification from the state was for the scale. He looked at me with an evil look and put my bag on the belt. It's the small victories.

Overpriced compared to what?
Fares have not risen appreciably since fuel took a big jump. Their answer, and a brilliant one I might add, was to charge for extra baggage rather than raise the prices for tickets. You should be happy. Take less stuff. :mug:

Overpriced compared to what?
Fares have not risen appreciably since fuel took a big jump. Their answer, and a brilliant one I might add, was to charge for extra baggage rather than raise the prices for tickets. You should be happy. Take less stuff. :mug:

I'll tell my family to carry on their wedding clothes for your sake.

Yep, they all suck. Last time I flew, I flew Delta & every flight and/or connecting flight was late. Not by a few minutes, but by at least an hour. Not just one way, but there & back. This forced me to rent a car & lose an entire day. I don't think it's too much to ask that the airlines are on time & don't crash. Next time I'll just drive, SCREW THE AIRLINES!!! Regards, GF.

As an airline employee i feel obliged to chime in. Alot of the delays people experience are from weather. Nothing we can do. Sorry. And its not always the weather where you are. It couldve been weather somewhere 1000 miles away 5 hours ago, but if thats where your plane was at the time, then it sets it back for the whole day. I understand peoples frustration but if you look at the complexity of the whole operation...it takes alot to keep things moving. Just my .02

As an airline employee i feel obliged to chime in. Alot of the delays people experience are from weather. Nothing we can do. Sorry. And its not always the weather where you are. It couldve been weather somewhere 1000 miles away 5 hours ago, but if thats where your plane was at the time, then it sets it back for the whole day. I understand peoples frustration but if you look at the complexity of the whole operation...it takes alot to keep things moving. Just my .02

My post wasn't about delays. Its about

- Fly FLL > Newark > Philly with a 2 hour wait between Newark and Philly planes leaving is cheaper than
- Fly FLL > Philly.

No delays mentioned, just the fact they are charging me less to take up more space and use more fuel to fly me further. You're probably that person who sent me to baggage claims and laughs inside knowing my luggage isn't come home.

No baggage for me, im just a mechanic. I guess i was just responding to the usual gripes. See second post for correction...pricing not my dept. I wouldnt mind knowing how they come up with pricing myself actually.

One word for you people: TRAIN

If you're in no hurry then take the extra time and Amtrack it.

Done the Bloomington/Normal, IL to Tucson, AZ trek 7-8 times and loved it every trip. Unless you're a social retard you're gonna meet someone cool who you can chill with. You may get lucky and meet a member of the opposite sex (or the same if thats your thing) who wants you to come back to their sleeper cabin.

One trip I met a millionaire from L.A. I didnt believe the guy was filthy rich until last call for booze came from the snack bar and he bought the place out so we could all keep drinking (like 10 of us).

I've met the coolest people and have some pretty neat stories from all my train trips.

**** flying.

You will most likely get tired of being in Texas though. Fair warning.

If I had the time for the train I would rather just drive the entire day so we have a car. We did that last year for another wedding and since I had the summer term off I just hired someone to sub contract for me and we took off for 3 weeks. If someone needed to leave early they flew back.

I was looking at plane tickets for my technology challenged mother from Seattle to Asheville. The US Air flight I was looking at on their website stopped in Charlotte to change planes. I accidentally typed in Charlotte to Asheville the second time I searched and was amazed that it was around $100 less each way to fly from Seattle to Charlotte to Asheville than to buy a ticket from Charlotte to Asheville, riding on the same connecting flight. :D

Just remember...always mail your dirty clothes back to your home via 3rd class us mail.

It is dirt cheap for a box...may not get there for a week (let's be honest who wants to do laundry right after they travel anyway) and gets rid of a whole heap of luggage.

My post wasn't about delays. Its about

- Fly FLL > Newark > Philly with a 2 hour wait between Newark and Philly planes leaving is cheaper than
- Fly FLL > Philly.

No delays mentioned, just the fact they are charging me less to take up more space and use more fuel to fly me further. You're probably that person who sent me to baggage claims and laughs inside knowing my luggage isn't come home.

Maybe the direct flight is fuller? So they try to fill up the flights that they are running through Philly? It's not rocket science. They aren't running a plane through philly just for you. Pay the $300. I think airline rates are reasonable.

Maybe the direct flight is fuller? So they try to fill up the flights that they are running through Philly? It's not rocket science. They aren't running a plane through philly just for you. Pay the $300. I think airline rates are reasonable.

Read original post, I screwed up on my follow up post you quoted. Should of read

FLL > EWR > PHL is Cheaper than FLL > EWR.

But thank you for sounding really condescending in your post though, I appreciate it. I mean I never knew airlines weren't just for me and my personal need. It's just too much for me to comprehend that the world isn't for me alone.

Back