Carbing 6gal vs. 5gal

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Superkabuto

Reaction score
I know the rule of thumb is 3/4 cup corn sugar to carb a 5 gal batch. does this mean that I'll need 9/10 cup for a 6 gal batch? The calculation being:

(3/4 x 1/5) + 3/4

Where the 1/5 is the extra gallon on top of the 5 gal batch. Does this sound right?

Does anyone know what 9/10 cup of corn sugar weighs?

Thanks,

Rich

Use an online calculator to figure out how much you need for your batch. There is a pretty simple one here.

It's easier to make that sort of scaling up or down if you weigh the sugar rather than doing it by volume. I'd say there was a fair margin of error though anyway. 1/5 more or less sugar than the target amount would affect the carbing, but not so you'd be too upset either way. Not too proud to admit I've miscalculated by that sort of degree before, and it was fine.

2.5 - 3 is what I usually shoot for, that's in the range of what 3/4 cup or 4oz of corn sugar by weight should give you for a 5 gal batch.

Back