What is the absolute best temperature for an ale?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

thrstyunderwater

Reaction score
I have a freezer with a temp controller now, so the sky is the limit on temp! (Well 20-80 degrees). Anyway, should I set the thing for 65 or what? I know that an ale can be warmer in the bucket due to fermentation, so what should I actually have the temp for the freezer set at?

Are you talking about for serving or fermentation? Either way it depends on the style and in the case of fermentation, also the the strain of yeast

Ales are extremely variable. Depending on the style of beer you are brewing, and the yeast, temperatures can change the context of a beer completely.

At a local craft brewery all six of their beers are brewed using or WLP 001 California Ale. However, they brew their Scottish Red at the extreme low of the yeast temp, and the IPA at the extreme high (68-73). The Nut Brown, the Porter, the Pale are all brewed at different temps as well.

Some Belgian beers are brewed into the 80's, and above. Some alt beers, and wee heavies are brewed with ale yeasts into the low 60's and upper 50's.

Your yeast strain, and style are really going to determine your perfect temp.

The hotter the temp, the more esters, flavors, and potential off flavors. The cooler the temp the less character, and depth you are likely to find from the yeast in your beer. Ale's esters hide brewing mistakes very well, which is why brewing in the lager style is so difficult.

http://www.whitelabs.com/beer/homebrew_strains.html#ALE_YEAST

Good luck brewing.

~J~

Thanks for the link. Right now I only have coopers ale yeast but will soon have some us-05. I'm making pale ales and a pumpkin ale right now.

Back