What to do with Bavarian Wheat yeast?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jeffg

Reaction score
Brewerfolks,
I never got around to making my summer wheat beer 'cause it was too damn hot to brew for a while and the fishing was just too good. I now have a Wyeast bavarian wheat ale yeast sitting in my fridge and i'm getting ready to dive back into brewing during the cooler months, but i don't have a fall/winter/spring recipe that employs this yeast and i'd rather not sit on it until next year.

Thoughts?

Why not just brew what you planned initially? Who ever said you need to conform to specific brewing styles that coincide with a particular season?

Yeah, what he said...besides, I brew Weizens year round...it's been my favorite since '75.:D :rockin:

FWIW, if you are just brewing a wheat beer, American-style, I presume, you needn't use a Bavarian-style Weizen yeast (wasteful). It's not the same as an American wheat.

jeffg said:
i'd rather not sit on it until next year.

Well on top of what everyone said (I would say the same by the way as I love wheat beers), I dont think the yeast would last that long. Can anyone say how long past expiration dates yeast are vaugly good for?

glibbidy said:
Why not just brew what you planned initially? Who ever said you need to conform to specific brewing styles that coincide with a particular season?

Because I have no desire to drink a raspberry hefe now that it's fall. I'm a New Englander--I'm seasonal by nature. It was 39 degrees out yesterday morning--I need to start drinking heavy beers.

Seriously, I'm a warm weather weizen guy typically. Maybe I'll brew a dunkleweizen...

Back