Low Budget False Bottom for keggle

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Took an alum pizza pan with holes, added alum door screen. SS would be stronger but I couldn't find the right size/type of SS pan and SS screen was really expensive.

I took the flat pan, a big steel bowl and a rubber mallet to form the pan into a slight dome shape.

Ignore the galv fitting in there on the keg. That was just temporary to hold my sight gauge while I was working on it. It's been replaced.

PICT0040.JPG

PICT0041.JPG

In CAD. About 8 bucks for the pan and about 5 for the screen. I already had the SS scews etc, but they would cost about $7.50 for the screws, washers and nuts.

I might replace the the screws near the center with long ones that reach the bottom for more strength. The dome does seem to have made it strong enough though.

So all told about $23 CAD.

Very cool idea. I have a nice SS colander we got for a gift 2 or 3 years ago that is too bulky for us and it lives in the cabinet. Would that work also?

The pan I used was 14". I wanted 15" but place I got it from was out of stock and I was impatient.

As for a colander, it might work. Depends on the size. Plus you don't want it to be too high or you'll have to use a lot of water to keep the grains wet.

I wanted some height as I use a pump and wanted the grains off the bottom. The dome and the curved pan edges do this nicely.

EDIT: I should note I also added osme holes near the edges for more drainage. Small holes right near the rim and larger holes between the rim and the premade holes.

Pretty similar to what I use. I bought one of those vegetable steamers that are made for a frying pan, sawed off the handle and in it goes.

OH, sorry. Yeah I have used an angle grinder (nice Hitachi) and cut a slit on each side. SO, slit in upper part near handles, and top of keg to the side (but not through.)

I find you can fit up to a 15" in that way.

I'm using this FB as we speak. It's working great with my pump working full speed. No problems with stepping temp either.

I have 10.75 kg (23.75 lbs) of malt in there for a 40 liter (10 gallon) batch.

My only concern with the alum version is hitting it to hard with a spoon when doughing in etc. I would advise putting some long metal screws in the middle that run to the bottom for extra support. A lot of guys do this with the expensive FB's as well.

So I hate having to ask those questions, so bare with me for a moment while I am "That Guy"

I have been searching for a very concise overview of AG brewing and I am mostly figured out how its done and why it works. A keggle though, is that the name for the keg converted into a brew pot?

Also, what is the point of the false bottom on it?

Thanks!

So I hate having to ask those questions, so bare with me for a moment while I am "That Guy"

I have been searching for a very concise overview of AG brewing and I am mostly figured out how its done and why it works. A keggle though, is that the name for the keg converted into a brew pot?

keg+kettle=keggle

I added 5 long screws as support. I had it buckle on me last batch. Still worked but I pounded it out and added the screws.

The pan I am using is fairly thin alum. Some are thicker. SS probably wouldn't have a problem.

do you ever get stuck sparges with that screen over it?

where did you get the pan from?

No stuck sparges. Actually less problems than when I had a manifold. I got the pan from a local place that sells cooking stuff to the general public. There are some links above for something similar.

nice design.
I just picked up a couple of kegs and was looking into false bottoms... this may be my cheap, workable answer. One question, if I may, what did you use on the bottom side to attach the exit pipe?

Thanks for the post and the pix!

would the pizza pan/ grease spallter screen combo work in a cooler MLT? I'm thinking of getting into AG now and trying to figure out the best way to get this stuff going.

Back