DIY Monster Bottle Tree w/ pics

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Tap Plastics has many sizes of clear acrylic tubing. 6 Ft of 1/2" OD is $2.45. Closest one to Davis is in Sacramento (there are actually 2).

My question is, how do you pre-drill at a 45 degree angle consistently? A jig and a drill press? Or just wing it with a cordless?

Make a jig out of a block of wood. Drill a 45 degree hole in that, and then use it as a drill guide on the pipe.

This is a cool idea and saving $30 means a FREE batch of beer!!! :rockin:

I know it is double the price, but when we're talking $16 (+time and a big & clunky design) vs. $33 for a commercially available one from my LHBS that can hold 90 bottles, rotate and is at least half the size...It's kind of hard to go the DIY route on this one.

BottleTree.jpg

http://labelpeelers.com/rotating-bottle-tree-90-capacity-p-2573.html

I did mine for around $12 because I had screws and wood laying around. I'd much rather build something when it's cheap and simple than going and dropping $30 for something that isn't a "necessity". I'm with the user above.... I'd rather use that money to make a beer.

image-4196919170.jpg

I couldn't find 1/2 inch outer diameter PVC at my hardware store, so I used 1/2 inch OD polyethylene tube (Sharkbite brand). It's more flexible than PVC, but when dealing with only 6 inch lengths, the flexibility doesn't seem to matter.

Thanks for this. I made one today in about 2 hours. I used a thicker "trunk" which takes 8 bottles around.

I know this thread hasnt been commented on in a while, but isnt anyone concerned about the ragged ends of the pvc tubes that hold the bottles having shavings come off in the bottles? I just completed this project and i am trying to file the ends to prevent this but am still a bit concerned. caps are much more expensive than is worth it at this point. I also think that for this project, buying was a bit cheaper than DIY. DIY is always more fun obviously...

There are some things I'd rather try to make myself than buy from someone else. So when I started looking for a bottle tree and saw how much they cost, I decided to build my own. Here's some pics:

115.JPG

I bought a pvc pipe and used some extra drywall screws I had laying around, pre-drilled some holes and put the scews in at a 45 degrees. I spaced them from top to bottom using a couple of bottles so they wouldn't be too close or too far apart. I use four screws per level at 12, 3, 6, and 9 o'clock. Oh...and there's my faithful assistant, Luke, working hard, as usual.

oh yeah, total cost to build.....under $12.00 with the extra stuff i had. $16.00 tops if I would have had to buy everything.

What do you think?

Wonderful!! I've been trying to "imagine" this thing myself for the last ten years. (Not every waking moment, mind you!) LOL
Oh, and I'm sure Luke is just wondering........Where's the beer?? Never mind this DIY crap.

Thanks.

Did you have some special "starting" technique for all those holes in the PVC? That stuff's a bit** to start a hole on an angle, isn't it?

Now you got me thinking about building a bottle washer tree: Stick all your bottles on, hook tree up to hose in back yard, turn it on to blast em clean, then turn it off to let em drip dry. Probably end up being more trouble than it's worth...

I see the hose getting turned on, and all the bottles taking off like rockets. Could be fun for the kids :)

Great, thanks, I was just looking for something like that! I mean the initial design without rinsing gimmicks...

Back