First mead

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CSRT-8

Reaction score
So i made my first mead (melomel) last Friday and I got some questions. First of all my recipe;
2gal tropicana blueberry pomegranate juice
1gal tap water
3.75lb trader joes mesquite honey
200 raisins
OG: 1.072 (lower than I figured it would have been)
Nottinghams ale yeast
1.020 starter for 24 hr

My question is in regards to the yeast energizer, is it necessary? What are the benefits?

Do you think the ale yeast will take it to its final gravity? Should I pitch champagne yeast and more honey when moving to secondary to get a final gravity of about 0.998?

Thanks for thoughts :)

I think the Honey to liquid ratio is a bit low. I would think about 2 - 3lb of honey per gallon would be a bit better but that is just my opinion.

In concerns to Energizer it is not "required" but it does help your yeast ferment without the stress of competing for nutrients or result in autolysis. Autolysis is where the yeast cannibalize themselves for nutrient replenishment and that causes some funky flavors. So this can be fine without energizer, heck a very common first mead is Joes ancient orange mead and it uses no yeast nutrient or energizer. But properly using the energizer can only help you.

The potential ABV of this mead will not hit over 10%ABV. Nottingham is a pretty well tolerant yeast that is known to produce 11% - 14% ABV Lager type beers. So I am sure your yeast will take this dry. Actually what I would do is let the gravity drop to about 1.050 and then add in 1lb of honey. Let it drop to 1.05 again and then add in another 1.25lb to give you an even 6lb of total honey. This should ferment dry to just over 13%ABV. If you decide to add the extra honey then I would definably suggest adding some energizer when it gets to that 1.05 gravity mark.

Or just forget all of what I said above and let this sit 6 months and try it out. I am sure you will enjoy this either way. But just learn from this and tweek your recipe or try something different you think you may like based of your reactions to this. Have fun and let us know how it goes.

I think the Honey to liquid ratio is a bit low. I would think about 2 - 3lb of honey per gallon would be a bit better but that is just my opinion.

In concerns to Energizer it is not "required" but it does help your yeast ferment without the stress of competing for nutrients or result in autolysis. Autolysis is where the yeast cannibalize themselves for nutrient replenishment and that causes some funky flavors. So this can be fine without energizer, heck a very common first mead is Joes ancient orange mead and it uses no yeast nutrient or energizer. But properly using the energizer can only help you.

The potential ABV of this mead will not hit over 10%ABV. Nottingham is a pretty well tolerant yeast that is known to produce 11% - 14% ABV Lager type beers. So I am sure your yeast will take this dry. Actually what I would do is let the gravity drop to about 1.050 and then add in 1lb of honey. Let it drop to 1.05 again and then add in another 1.25lb to give you an even 6lb of total honey. This should ferment dry to just over 13%ABV. If you decide to add the extra honey then I would definably suggest adding some energizer when it gets to that 1.05 gravity mark.

Or just forget all of what I said above and let this sit 6 months and try it out. I am sure you will enjoy this either way. But just learn from this and tweek your recipe or try something different you think you may like based of your reactions to this. Have fun and let us know how it goes.

I had th same concern about the honey ratio bu I read to us .5 lb per lb of juice. I guess that depends on how much sugar is in your juice. I think I'm gonna take your advice and add more honey

Back