What I did on my fall Beercation....

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stevea1210

Reaction score
Took a beercation last week, and thought I'd share...

We started in Cooperstown NY, touring fly creek cider mill, Cooperstown Brewery, Brewery Ommegang, and Bear Pond Winery. Then we headed up to Troy NY, where we went to Browns brew pub. Next was Pioneer brewing in Sturbridge Mass. Then was on to Boston where we went to the BA Night of the funk festival (all sour / wild beers), and the next night the BA Belgium beer festival.

While on the trip I was able to talk to a lot of great people and brewers, and was fortunate enough to chat one on one with the head brewers from Ommegang, Pioneer, Lost Abbey, Cambridge Brewing, and Allagash. I may have talked to a few others, but those were the ones I recognized or was introduced to. Mike from Ommegang was very friendly and helpful while there. He went so far as to share some of their 'secrets'. Just throwing out there that Ommegang uses the same mash temp and scheedule for ALL of their beers. That blew my mind a bit. When asked about it he showed it to me. It is posted right on thir control panel, and he confirmed EVERY beer uses the same one.

We didn't do just beer stuff, but that was the focus. :D

My haul pictured left to right:
-Frontrow-
Fly creek apple wine
2 - bear pond cranberry wine
Ommegang abbey - aged for a year in local caves
Ommegang hennepin - aged for a year in local caves
DFH theobroma
Hoppin Frog BORIS
Bear republic hop rod rye
3 - Avery Maharaja
Port brewing hop 15
Southern Tier creme brulee stout
Stone Arrogant bastard
3 - ommegang Witte
3 - Ommegang Rare vos
3 - Ommegang Abbey
3 - Ommgang Hennepin
6 - Fly creek Hard Cider
6 - Cooperstown Bench warmer porter

-Back Row-
6 - Cooperstown Striker Brown ale
6 - Cooperstown root beer
6 - Browns Oatmeal Stout
6 - SN Torpedo

Pioneer had wonderful beers, and very friendly people, but didn't bottle, and I purposely wanted to avoid growlers on this trip.
beer-haul.JPG

link to full size image

What did you think of Brown's? I have been to 27 breweries and to this day, Brown's is my favorite. Ommegang was a VERY close second, but when I went to Brown's in Oct '07 their selection of beers was ridiculous. I cannot wait to go back.

Me and my girlfriend make it a point to stop at any breweries/brewpubs whenever we are traveling. I just got back from Nashville this week and we managed to hit 3 brewpubs and Jack Daniel's Distillery.

Beercation... gonna have to borrow that word! :)

What did you think of Brown's? I have been to 27 breweries and to this day, Brown's is my favorite. Ommegang was a VERY close second, but when I went to Brown's in Oct '07 their selection of beers was ridiculous. I cannot wait to go back.

Me and my girlfriend make it a point to stop at any breweries/brewpubs whenever we are traveling. I just got back from Nashville this week and we managed to hit 3 brewpubs and Jack Daniel's Distillery.

Browns was great. They had a 45 minute wait on a Wednesday, and it was worth it. The oatmeal stout was definitely my favorite. The staff, food, and beer all comes together very nice there. We were staying at the old judge mansion B&B about a mile away, which was quite convenient.

SWMBO and I also try to hit up a brewpub or two every town we go to.

Sweet haul! Love Old Crow Medicine Show.

Thanks. The OCMS is actually framed vinyl a friend got us as a house warming present. He is really into vinyl, and knows we're into OCMS. Tennessee Pusher is apparently the only one they released on vinyl, and he able to get us a copy and framed it.

Back