Can I still plant?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ceedubya

Reaction score
I have a coupe of rhizomes that did not get planted this year that I am going to put into containers. Is it too late to plant?

Considering it was still snowing here a week ago, I am going to say no. But everything I read says to plant in March.

I dont see why not. You can always start the containers inside your house, then move them outside. Just as long as you aren't using half whiskey barrels as planters.

I am using two large potting containers (plastic) I bought at Costco and miracle grow potting soil.

Also, the containers do not have any drain holes in them I am thinking I may need to poke a couple of holes in the bottom. What do you think?

Got it! Thanks all, I was sure I would be fine but always appreciate a little input. I'm gonna get these planted in the morning and get the trellis built tomorrow afternoon.

I've got a bunch of pipe from an old carport that I'm using for the trellis structure, should be interesting.

btw...I used to fish the Missouri all the time when I lived in Bozeman...what an awesome river you have so near you lucky SOB

Got it! Thanks all, I was sure I would be fine but always appreciate a little input. I'm gonna get these planted in the morning and get the trellis built tomorrow afternoon.

I've got a bunch of pipe from an old carport that I'm using for the trellis structure, should be interesting.

What varieties are you planting? I'm spending the weekend planting grass sadly since I took the week off a couple back and it decided to snow.

btw...I used to fish the Missouri all the time when I lived in Bozeman...what an awesome river you have so near you lucky SOB

Yep, its awesome. We float from Wolf Creek to the Dearborn a lot.

What varieties are you planting? I'm spending the weekend planting grass sadly since I took the week off a couple back and it decided to snow.

I am planting williamette and fuggle

My Willamettes seem happy. I also have Glaciers. Both first year attempts.
Are you using the piping from a canvas carport type thing?
I have friend who's out in Hamilton. Been there a few times and really like Montana.

My Willamettes seem happy. I also have Glaciers. Both first year attempts.
Are you using the piping from a canvas carport type thing?
I have friend who's out in Hamilton. Been there a few times and really like Montana.

Hamilton is pretty country.

Yes, I am using the piping from my Mother in Law's old canvas car port.

also, I mispoke, I think I had a bit of a brain fart. I am planting Willamette and Hallertau not Fuggle. I had fuggle on the brain from my last brew.

I just ordered my hops, I'm planting Nugget, Mt Hood and Willamette I had planed on growing 8+ varieties but I got shut down and had to compromise with the three. :(

We ran Wolf Creek to Craig a lot....sometimes we launched at the Dam there. Really good water up there, but tons of people too

cheers!

Hamilton is pretty country.

Yes, I am using the piping from my Mother in Law's old canvas car port.

also, I mispoke, I think I had a bit of a brain fart. I am planting Willamette and Hallertau not Fuggle. I had fuggle on the brain from my last brew.

I've gotten to know a guy who works at St. Peters Hospital there in Helena and it sounds like nice country there too. One of these trips I'll have make the journey over there.
I have frames from a couple of those carports that got totaled in wind storms and thought about using them as the framework for my hops. Let me know what you come up with.

I've gotten to know a guy who works at St. Peters Hospital there in Helena and it sounds like nice country there too. One of these trips I'll have make the journey over there.
I have frames from a couple of those carports that got totaled in wind storms and thought about using them as the framework for my hops. Let me know what you come up with.

Who do you know from St. Pete's? I do a lot of work up there, and know pretty much everybody.

I'll try to get some pictures of the process

Who do you know from St. Pete's? I do a lot of work up there, and know pretty much everybody.

I'll try to get some pictures of the process

His name's Rod Kanable (not sure on the spelling of the last name) he's in the Nuclear Medicine dept.

Look forward to seeing the pictures.

Back