Rogue Brutal Bitter Clone

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lenny2884

Reaction score
Trying to come up with my own Brutal Bitter clone based on the stats and ingredients listed on Rogues website. On their site it says the color is 14.2 degrees Lovibond, is that the same as SRM? I just opened one and it definitely looks lighter than 14 SRM. Thanks guys!

Yes, it's 14 SRM

This recipe will get real close.

Brutal Bitter

Batch Size (Gal): 6.00 Wort Size (Gal): 6.00
Total Grain (Lbs): 14.75
Anticipated OG: 1.064 Plato: 15.6
Anticipated SRM: 14.0
Anticipated IBU: 58.9
Brewhouse Efficiency: 70 %
Wort Boil Time: 90 Minutes

Grain/Extract/Sugar

% Amount Name Origin Potential SRM
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
74.6 11.00 lbs. Pale Malt(2-row) Great Britain 1.038 3
13.6 2.00 lbs. CaraVienne Malt Belgium 1.034 22
11.9 1.75 lbs. CaraWheat Germany 1.035 46

Hops

Amount Name Form Alpha IBU Boil Time
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
1.75 oz. Crystal Whole 4.40 23.9 90 min.
1.75 oz. Crystal Whole 4.40 22.3 60 min.
2.00 oz. Crystal Whole 4.40 12.7 15 min.
1.50 oz. Crystal Whole 4.40 0.0 0 min.

Yeast
-----

Pacman

Mash around 152.

Lovibond and SRM are nearly identical scales. I was looking at the Brutal Bitter kit that was designed by the headbrewer at Rogue and it says the kit is 8 SRM.

Here is the kit if you are interested in purchasing. It recommends Pacman yeast which can be found here.

That's funny... I have a bunch of crystal hops and was going to try this recipe out after my conical is done being built in a few weeks... Wasn't shooting for Rogue's, but with all that crystal, I bet it will be nice...

Brew Type: All Grain Date: 11/11/2008
Style: American IPA Brewer:
Batch Size: 11.75 gal Assistant Brewer:
Boil Volume: 13.55 gal Boil Time: 90 min
Brewhouse Efficiency: 83.00 % Equipment: Brutus
Actual Efficiency: 83.85 %

Ingredients Amount Item Type % or IBU
22.00 lb Gambrinus Pale Malt (2.0 SRM) Grain 89.25 %
1.50 lb Caramel Malt - 40L 6-Row (Briess) (40.0 SRM) Grain 6.09 %
1.00 lb Victory Malt (25.0 SRM) Grain 4.06 %
0.15 lb Chocolate Wheat Malt (400.0 SRM) Grain 0.61 %
3.00 oz Crystal [4.40 %] (90 min) Hops 19.5 IBU
2.00 oz Crystal [4.40 %] (90 min) (First Wort Hop) Hops 14.3 IBU
2.50 oz Crystal [4.40 %] (30 min) Hops 11.7 IBU
2.50 oz Crystal [4.40 %] (15 min) Hops 7.5 IBU
3.00 oz Crystal [4.40 %] (5 min) Hops 3.6 IBU
3.00 oz Crystal [4.40 %] (1 min) Hops 0.8 IBU

Beer Profile Estimated Original Gravity: 1.065 SG (1.056-1.075 SG)
Estimated Final Gravity: 1.017 SG (1.010-1.018 SG)
Measured Final Gravity: 1.005 SG
Estimated Color: 10.0 SRM (6.0-15.0 SRM) Color [Color]
Bitterness: 57.4 IBU (40.0-70.0 IBU) Alpha Acid Units: 44.0 AAU
Estimated Alcohol by Volume: 6.33 % (5.50-7.50 %) Actual Alcohol by Volume: 7.97 %
Actual Calories: 291 cal/pint

My 2 cents.

Afterwards, i was going to use the same recipe with the wheel barrel full of Mt Hoods I have in my freezer too...I think both will be very nice. I think I will have to go try myself a Brutal Bitter to compare to my what my thoughts are. Haven't had one in a long time...

Lovibond and SRM are nearly identical scales. I was looking at the Brutal Bitter kit that was designed by the headbrewer at Rogue and it says the kit is 8 SRM.

Here is the kit if you are interested in purchasing. It recommends Pacman yeast which can be found here.

I am thinking of trying the kit. I am a beginning homebrewer, so I don't have strict temp. control options. It is between 60-67 degrees in my house, and a bit colder in my garage this time of year. Should I bother?

I am thinking of trying the kit. I am a beginning homebrewer, so I don't have strict temp. control options. It is between 60-67 degrees in my house, and a bit colder in my garage this time of year. Should I bother?

If your house is 60-67 and you put your fermenter in a water bath(cooler, bathtub...etc.) and add Ice bottles as needed you'll be fine

If your house is 60-67 and you put your fermenter in a water bath(cooler, bathtub...etc.) and add Ice bottles as needed you'll be fine

I put all of my brews in a water bath during fermentation just to keep the temp changes down to a minimum. I use ice bottles to bring down the temps in the summer time. Using a water bath is just an extra step that I like to do, but is not needed if your room temp is within the temp guidelines of the yeast and you do not have large temp swings in the room.

I put all of my brews in a water bath during fermentation just to keep the temp changes down to a minimum. I use ice bottles to bring down the temps in the summer time. Using a water bath is just an extra step that I like to do, but is not needed if your room temp is within the temp guidelines of the yeast and you do not have large temp swings in the room.

Will my unheated garage be too cold for fermentation? It will be between 40-60 degrees for the next few months. I am guessing yes

40-60 is lower than recommended, but I would say it is not going to work because of the 20 degree swing in temps, that would cause some havoc for the yeast. You want to have stable temps during fermentation.

I would think you'd be fine with a rig like this and a little attention, maybe a few hot water bottles toward the end of ferment.

Help, any feedback from brewers on how this recipe turned out? THANKS TONS

Need to use up some of my Crystal hops

Mine was a bit different than the recipes posted but close enough to say "Go for it"

Brewed 20 gallons so far and love it.

Thanks for the input, I have alot of Crystal Hops and thought this sounded good.

Sorry to revive this thread after 6.5 years but I'm looking to brew this beer because I have some Carawheat I would like to use and a few ounces of Mt. Hood getting old in the freezer that I will use instead of the Crystal.

I will be basing it on the clone from Brew365:

All-Grain Recipe - Rogue Brutal Bitter ::: 1.061/1.015 (5.5 Gal)

Grain Bill (Assumes 72% Efficiency)

10.5 lbs. - Maris Otter Pale Malt
1.25 lbs. - CaraVienna Malt (22 L)
1 lb. - CaraWheat (40L) Malt
1 lb. - Crystal Malt (20L)
1/2 lb. - Crystal Malt (40L)

Hop Schedule [59 IBU]

2 oz - Crystal hops [4% AA] (60 min.)
2 oz - Crystal hops [4% AA] (40 min.)
2 oz - Crystal hops [4% AA] (20 min.)
2 oz - Crystal hops [4% AA] (5 min.)

Wyeast Rogue PacMan Yeast - 1000ml starter.

Mash at 153° for 60 min.

The name has changed to Brutal IPA and I see from the Rouge website that the ingredients have changed slightly over the years.
Anyone have a more recent all-grain clone that worked good?
Also I will fall a bit short on the amount of Mt. Hood, would Strisselspalt also be OK in this beer as a substitute for the Crystal hops?

Thanks! :mug:

Back