anyone brewing this christmas weekend?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

uglygoat

Reaction score
my brother and i took last weekend off and decided we were gonna do a batch on xmas, but thought that might not go over too well with my wife and daughter and our family that's travelling from the east side to spend the day, though, truth be told, i'd rather brew than open presents and eat ham n such...

soo we moved it up a day to xmas eve... but still hadn't decided on a beer yet, i'd been kicking around a dark german style lager, with a single decoction, but also had a hoppy pale ale in the back of me head..

he called me from a new brew store he found tuesday, and told me the grains he'd just crushed, and was asking about hops. funny, that i had just come from another hbs and bought two ounce of ek golding whole hopps and some wyeast 1084, and his grain was that to make a stout.... kinda erie, hence the name, erie xmas stout.. ;)

anyone else got a holiday bew session planned?

t1master said:
anyone else got a holiday bew session planned?
I was planning on brewing day before yesterday but haven't yet, so yeah I'm doing an Imperial Stout tomorrow (or maybe on xmas :eek:), and I think I'm gonna do a mild on the day after too. :)

I'll be right there with you. I didn't know how swmbo would take it and I ran it by her the other day. It turns out that she would rather have me out of the house and outdoors (not sure how to take that ;) ). I'll be tapping into my hard cider and brewing Christmas Eve afternoon. Looks like a nice creamy bock is on the agenda.

happy brewing and Merry Hannakwanzachristmas

loop

I brewed a chocolatey pale up last night, since I'll be out of town for Christmas weekend. I'm going on a 10-day hike on the 27th, so here's to hoping I can rack into the secondary on the 26th.

mpetty said:
I'm going on a 10-day hike on the 27th
Walking into town are you. ;)

Sorry, couldn't resist that. I'm just jealous cause I'm not living in the Ozarks this time of year. :(

mpetty said:
I brewed a chocolatey pale up last night, since I'll be out of town for Christmas weekend. I'm going on a 10-day hike on the 27th, so here's to hoping I can rack into the secondary on the 26th.
Where are you going?

I hope to bottle my porter and brew a dry stout on x-mas day morning. I'd do it tomorrow but too much new year's cleaning to do.

billybrew said:
Where are you going?

Me and a buddy are going to hit the complete Ozark Highlands Trail + 15 mile connecting BRT for a total of ~180 miles. We're really worried about water though, good thing it is supposed to rain this weekend. We're stashing food along the way, and I'm going to throw in some homebrews from my first batch to crack on the trail. I'm pretty excited about it. :)

Not this weekend but next week.

My Wife and the kid will be out of town and I have all the time in the world to make 2 or even 3 batches. Only to bad that I don't do AG yet :(. But I will take my time with the partial mashes. So far I'm going for a Sierra Nevada Clone, A Maerzen and maybe a Munich helles. This should give me the drinking beers for late January and February. I'm pretty excited, because I will get to use my oxygenation stone. Let's see how well this works.

And to top that off, I will have the smoker running to make myself a slab of Kansas style baby back ribs. Couldn't be better.

Ah, and did I mention that I have to lay down laminate flooring too :(

the kind that you peel the wax paper off the back and stick down? or the interlocking psuedo wood? both suck to install btw ;)

t1master said:
the kind that you peel the wax paper off the back and stick down? or the interlocking psuedo wood? both suck to install btw ;)

It's the pseudo wood kind. I think it installs very nicely only the sub floor preperation is a pain since it has to be free of bumps. I already put down half of it and noticed how crappy our house was build.

Kai

Kai said:
It's the pseudo wood kind. I think it installs very nicely only the sub floor preperation is a pain since it has to be free of bumps. I already put down half of it and noticed how crappy our house was build.

Kai
Yeah, like all of the home improvement stuff. The prep's 80 percent of the work.

Back on topic - no brewing this weekend. I have two batches (two cases of each) ready to go for the holiday crush - one very hoppy red ale, the other a mild and pale raspberry ale. The raspberry should be ready (though still not at its prime) on Christmas day - a week and a day in the bottle, cleared nicely and a nice little layer of sediment on the bottom. The red ale is about three weeks in the bottle and really nice.

And I need to go buy another case of Coors Light for the unadventurous.

It would be worth my life to brew this weekend - I can hear it now - "Ewww, what is that awful SMELL?"

I'm making Caramel Vanilla ale part 2 and bottling my Oatmeal Stout. The oatty has been in the secondary for 3 weeks now and should be about perfect. The CV is a variation on the original.

i'm brewing a few days after. either a Northwest red ale or a hop rod rye. my local HBS got a bunch of fresh hops in, so i wanna see what they got. that'll help me decide. but i always have a back-up recipe when i go just in case......

I will be brewing this coming week, a SNPA clone and my Blitzkrieg Imperial IPA.

For New Years I will be tapping my Hop Rod Rye to quaff in the New Year!!!!!

And then...I'll have to brew another Hop Rod batch!

Just bottled the Fat Tire clone with belgian yeast, dubbed the Fat Hubcap. Got the starter going for the Old Rasputin Imperial Stout Clone thats planned for Monday.

I just finished brewing my Samuel Smith Nut Brown Ale clone. I started while it was still Christmas day, anyway. All went well, except I let it go about 5 minutes too long.

We did a ESB last night, an Irish Red Ale this morning, and a Sunshine Wheat clone this afternoon. The ESB and Red called for Magnum hops... man they are some kind of bitter.

I smacked a Budvar Lager earlier today. It should be ready for the starter sometime tomorrow.

Then I have to install a new shower door in the master bathroom. I put in the toilet today. Too easy. But then we had to go to dinner with some of the family. Oy Vay! Holidays!

I should be brewing on Wed.

Thursday I plan on finishing the downstair kitchen walls, new kitchen shelves and shelves in general.

Sometime after the walls are taped, mudded and painted I'll need to put down some of that paint on flooring for the garage on my kitchen floor (my wife's idea naturally).

I got tickets for the Trans-Siberian Orchestra show on Friday.:D I'll have to dress up like a penguin (again, my wife's idea).

Later.

I brewed the SNPA clone today.

Everything went failry well. Just having some quite long lag period even though I oxygenated the wort pretty well. I may have gone to long with the oxygenation (15min) and now the yeast just keeps multiplying (hopefully).

My propane gas cylinder went out just when I was done with the boil. Can you believe it! 5 min before the end of the boil I had to put it into a water bath to keep the pressure up for a rolling boil. That could have been bad. Now I keep a spare around.

And the floors.:mad: Let me tell you, I have to remove a 10ft x 10ft section of glued on laminate flooring. I have been working on it with hammer and chissel for about 4hrs now. Only 2 rows to go :)

I hope to get the Maerzen started on Wednesday. The starter looks pretty good so far. No high Kraeusen (cause I keep shaking it) but very cloudy.

Kai

Back