American Lager Happy Daze CAP (single decoction)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sudbuster

This ain't my first rodeo....
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Recipe Type
All Grain
Yeast
2007 Am. Pils.
Yeast Starter
1 liter
Additional Yeast or Yeast Starter
none
Batch Size (Gallons)
5.25 gal
Original Gravity
Final Gravity
Boiling Time (Minutes)
90 min.
IBU
~ 31
Color
~ 4
Primary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
~ 4 days @ 54f reducing to 42f for 4 days
Secondary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
21 days at 38f
Additional Fermentation
none
After following Jeff Renner's work and efforts to get CAP a recognized style, and brewing his "My Father's Mustache" a few times and some other renditions of CAP, I devised this version which was best suited to my particular taste at the time.

Malts
6lbs american 6 row
1lb flaked rice
3lb flaked corn
Hops
0.84oz 6.8 AAU Cluster (bittering ) 60 min
1/4 oz 3.5 AAU Saaz (flavor) 20 min
1/5 oz 3.5 AAU Saaz (aroma) at flameout
~ 5.7 HBU or ~ 32 IBU
Yeast
1L starter of American Pilsner (W 2007)
Mash
May use MT or insulated MLT to reach rest temperatures. Mash in using 11 qts at 134f to rest at ~ 122f. After 5 min. pull the heaviest 40-45% of mash to the decoction vessel. Use a kitchen strainer and get only enough liquid to fill the spaces between the grains. Heat to 150f over about 10 min to 15min, then continue to heat slowly ( ~ 15 min ) on up to 167f, then kick it on up to boiling, and boil for 10min. for a total decoction time of ~ 35min. Return the decoction to the MT or MLT slowly and evenly and in a non oxygenating fashion to achieve a rest temp of 154f. If you have too much decoction, then cool the remainder in an ice bath to 154f and return to the MT/MLT. Maintain for 90min. Now add ~ 4 quarts boiling water to achieve 168f. Rest 10min. Sparge and lauter as usual. collect ~6.5 gal.
Boil

Boil 90 min. Bittering hops in 30min. into boil. Flavour hops in at 70min into boil. Aroma hops in at flameout, for a volume ~ 5 1/4 gal.

After secondary fermentation, transfer to serving keg and lager at 32*F for four weeks under 10 lbs psi.

Back