White Labs WLP013

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DaDzBrewery

Reaction score
Searched and search.. This is my first beer to produce a sulfur like smell.. I'm guessing thats what i am smelling.. It's a rotten egg/ sewer type smell, Been in the fermenter for around 3 days.. Pitched a 1 liter starter at a kind of low temp of 62* then slowly brought it up to 67*.. was wondering if WLP013 is know for putting off sulfur smells or am I looking at an infected beer.. ? Sorry for the noob question, as i said before, it's my first one that produced sulfur smells.. And I did search, But I am needing personal attention.. lol.. Cheers..:mug:

What was recipe? I have made some american pilsners w/ flaked corn that will give off that odor. Usually goes away by the time I keg. If it doesn't, then I will do a CO2 wash (flush beer w/ CO2 thru the out side of keg , releasing pressure as you go). I have had thatodor before when temps for fermenting were too high- keep it " low and slow"!

Sulfur is a fairly common byproduct of fermentation in certain yeast strains. It will dissipate with time. That is still a very young beer in primary. I wouldn't worry about it.

Back