Shipping TBD from hops direct

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kosmokramer

Reaction score
Im trying to order like 8 pounds from hops direct and it is telling me shipping to be determined. I am in california. Has anyone gotten this message before? and what did your shipping costs come out to if you dont mind?

well that sounds good, im splitting with someone else so we were trying to save on shipping by ordering together, just wanted to make sure it was worth doing it this way

They charged actual shipping, I believe. It wasn't dirt cheap, but it was whatever UPS charged them. I think it was around $18, while Freshops was $14 for 2.5 pounds.

18$ for how many pounds shipped yooper?, and freshops charged that much to ship only 2.5 pounds?

thats actually what i got, 6 not 8 lbs.

Another question though. How do you store them if you dont have a food saver or vacuum sealer?

thats actually what i got, 6 not 8 lbs.

Another question though. How do you store them if you dont have a food saver or vacuum sealer?

IMO, with hops shortages and what not going on, I'd invest in a food saver. It's worth it in the long run. I have nearly a lb of cascade pellets that keep giving me blah beer because I didn't vacuum seal them.

IMO, with hops shortages and what not going on, I'd invest in a food saver. It's worth it in the long run. I have nearly a lb of cascade pellets that keep giving me blah beer because I didn't vacuum seal them.

The compact mealsaver model is dirt cheap.

Cost me just under 12 bucks to ship 1 lb each of citra, cascade, amarillo, and chinook to MN. Comes in at just over 1 buck per ounce, I'll take that for hops.

I would also highly suggest the vacuum sealer, it works wonders for hops. I still have about half a pound each of last years citra, simcoe, and amarillo leaf from freshops that are still good and aromatic.

about 25 with shipping for that compact mealsaver. ill order that sucker tomarrow.

Honestly unless money is REALLY tight for you, I think you are getting bent out of shape on this. HopsDirect are stand-up folks...they still don't quite have the shipping thing worked out, but they are honest and they always end up way overfilling the order. I mean you ordered 8 lbs but you'll probably receive 9+ lbs in actual hops. And they just charge actual cost for shipping, so it's not like most places that either make up for shipping costs by jacking prices, or overcharge.

who was getting bent out of shape? i placed the order withought a second thought!, I was just wondering how much it would be and how long it would take to get the authorization email they mentioned.

igotsand, perfect!,thanks

Sorry, I guess I misread the tone of your post. I never get authorization emails from them prior to shipping, but that might be some option that I never asked for. I do get shipping notification emails, though.

For what it's worth, I'm in the same rough neighborhood as you and got a shipment notification from them yesterday for an order I placed on the 25th. Oh, checking my email just now, I just got a billing receipt and shipping from Mabton, WA (HopsDirect) to my house in LA is $10.69 for a 4 lbs order of hops. FedEx's website lists the same package as 6 lbs(!)

cool, It takes that long for shipment? Im not in a big rush, still have ingredients for 10 gallons and 30 gallons in carboys already but im like a kid at christmas,,, looking for a vacuum sealer on cl as we speak. thanks wierdboy. like i said, this is my first order with them and i was just wondering what to expect. bout to head to the lhbs and get me some citra since i missed it at hops direct

I seem to recall my last order shipping out faster (like next day or two), but I think they received a huge number of orders in the past week or two because they just got all the 2011 crops in stock and have already sold out of most of them. So, it wasn't really surprising to me that they took a bit longer to ship.

I made my order on tuesday they are usually received in a week but when they are this busy I'm hoping to get them by middle of next week.:)

I ordered last Monday, and received them this past Tuesday. So, about 8 days from the time I sent in the order until they were in my house. Not bad at all!

Latest posts

Back