Fruity/Estery High Temp Ferm Flavors

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ó Flannagáin

Reaction score
Are you at risk of these flavors after fermentation has completed? Sounds like the fermentation process at high temps is the culprit, or is it just have yeast sit around at these high temps?

I have a beer that's almost done fermenting at 72F, a weizen, I want it to have some of those flavors, but not too much. In a few days I have a feeling the weather's gonna get close to 80 (I have no AC) so I don't want to hog the bathtub 24/7 and was wondering if its gonna be cool, after the fermentation is over, to let it sit between 78-80 while clearing/conditioning.

Yes, I have noticed this effect. My steam beer started fermenting at 72-74, then i brought it down to about 63 for the rest of the time, and it had a distinct guava flavor when i sampled it at bottling. This was trippy, since I happened to have been picking guava and making preserves the day before that. I kinda liked it, but I hope it becomes more subtle after some conditioning (the beer, I mean, not the preserves).

I would try to lower the temp while clearing, more of the yeast and other protiens will settle out at a cooler temp. also it will help to halt the development of the fuity tones.

We bottled a batch of trippel and put it on our warm air vent to 'age' it faster... Generally, those came OK, but the half full taster/tester of another batch, aging with that tasted EXACTLY like strawberries. It was really amazing to us at the time. We only had about 5 batches under our belts, but we were shocked.

Thankfully, the rest of that batch (I think a honey brown something or other) which was aged in the hall in boxes (70 F-ish) were fine.

Back