Is it Settling ?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CGinWI

Reaction score
So I racked my first batch into a secondary about noon sunday.
a American Pale Ale. About 5-6 hours later I checked it and my nice straw/honey colored beer had started to change a brown/redish color from the top down. About an inch last night and about 3 inches from the top this morning.

Is it settling or did i ruin it ? Infected ?

Thank you for any help

As the yeast settles out,the brew will look darker because of the volume as well. Put it in a glass & you'll see more of the final product.

No problem. By the time it's done reaching FG,& has a few days to clean up & settle more,you'll get what it should look like. Depending on how much of your DME/LME was used in the boil vs late additions.

Many years and brews later I still enjoy watching the settling of the yeast! I do the same with the bubbling airlock.

B

Kinda like me. I watch everything as much as possible to see how things react to each other from pitch to pop. You can learn a lot from familiarizing yourself with the entire process. It's fun to see how the color changes during fermentation. Always a calming effect when I see that true color coming out. Then when it clears up in the bottles during conditioning. I watch that too. So many variables to account for that can be learned from.

Back