Bubbling Stopped!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hell_Fish

Reaction score
Im attempting to brew the AHS Apocalypso. The directions say the fermentaion has stopped after 2 days. The directions say 5 to 7. It was bubbling CO2 like made for the first 2 days and now nothing. Its a all malt kit. Orginal SG was 1.070 (directions said is should be 1.048). Is this batch toast?

Im attempting to brew the AHS Apocalypso. The directions say the fermentaion has stopped after 2 days. The directions say 5 to 7. It was bubbling CO2 like made for the first 2 days and now nothing. Its a all malt kit. Orginal SG was 1.070 (directions said is should be 1.048). Is this batch toast?

Give it 30 days in primary, Hit it with some Nottingham if your worried the yeast quit before it was done, then bottle. Thats what i do never had a problem yet, all my beers get 30 days in primary, anything over 1.080 gets another 30 in secondary.The SG simply means it will be stronger than you expected, not always a bad thing lol.If you want to know if it is done i would need to know the gravity right now, I have had batches made with Nottingham that went from 1.080 to 1.020 in 2 days. Check the gravity, if it is in the .020s it very well could be done, if it is down that low, check it 3 days in a row and see if it goes any lower.

What is the current gravity?

+1

Calm down. Check the gravity and get back to us. It is VERY hard to completely screw up a beer. As you will read in almost every thread dealing with your situation, airlock activity is not an indicator of fermentation

Check your gravity and report back.
-Jeff-

I found one of Revvy's posts on the subject now. :) Noob question, should I not worry about breaking the buckets seal and allowing O2 in? I would guess, pop the top, get the reading as fast as possible and reseal and forget it.

There is nothing to worry about, there is a blanket of CO2 on top of the beer that will protect it from oxygen.

Forget the directions that come with the kit. Sure, it has blown through most of the sugar and stopped bubbling, but the longer it sits the more it will clear and settle. Give it at least three weeks or four if you can stand it.

Brew some more while you wait. If you have several batches staged a week or two apart you will have a "pipeline" of beer.

If you do follow the directions that come with the kit and bottle in a week, you will end up with lots of sediment in the bottles. Be patient and it will be better.

I use buckets, too and can't really see what is going on in there. Try this. Next time make a little extra and put it in a half gallon liquor bottle. See what it looks like after week 1, 2, 3 and 4.

Also, the warmer the fermentation and pitch temps, the faster the fermentation will occur. That isn't a good thing, looks like that kit should probably be fermented in the mid 60's. The yeast is around 68-to mid 70's. With ales I try to be on the lowest possible side to avoid esters and fusel alcohols. Also fermentation creates heat so if you did the lowest temp at 68 then fermentation can generate heat up to at least 8 degree but could only be 2 degree. So temperature control is a big deal, especially since I'm in GA and my house is never the correct temp, so I just use a chest freezer with a controller.

Don't worry. Your brew just finished up with initial fermentation. It'll slow down for the long haul down to FG,so give it time. I don't even test mine til the 2 week mark. Then take a hydrometer sample to see how close to FG it is.
Patience is everything in brewing. Why do you think brewers are such laid back people?

Looks to be at 1.034 now. Still high, so not complete. I also tested with tap water I am at 1.015, so my hydrometer seems to be a bit off.

Looks to be at 1.034 now. Still high, so not complete. I also tested with tap water I am at 1.015, so my hydrometer seems to be a bit off.

Whoa, water @ 1.015?!!! Maybe get a new hydro before you start taking your readings. And yeah, definitely wait a few weeks before you decide it's done. Even after FG is reached, the yeast need time to clean up after themselves.

Seems I have the wrong hydro. Its for liquids at 155 deg. The guys at AHS helped a bunch. You guys did too. Thank you.

Back