Charcoal grill not shutting down

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Arneba28

Reaction score
I have a medium sized charbroil charcoal grill. Love cooking on it but it doesn't shut down even with the lid closed and all the vents shut. Anyone run into this

Also. About to get a kingsford 784sqin charcoal grill. This one is supposed to shut down too. Anyone know how this grill preforms?

Never heard anyone before think it would "shut down". If I want to kill a charcoal fire I run or pour water over it and even then it can take some time. What is the hurry? Afraid to go to bed and it catches something on fire? I can understand the concern if that is the reason, that is why I have done it.

It doesn't take much oxygen to keep the coals burning a bit. Even though you've closed the lid and vents, there is still air getting in.

If the intent is to go cold fast, you can use a pair of tongs and a bucket of H20, just pick up the coals carefully and dump them in the bucket.

My Weber Performer completely snuffs out the coals in an hour or so when I close all of the vents. I'll use the same batch of charcoal for multiple cooks.

If any oxygen is coming in around the vents or the lid, you're going to keep producing heat. You must have a gap(s) somewhere.

Yeah I was talking about completely killing the heat by closing all the vents. The weber sounds like thebest idea. I don't want to have to dump water on the coals

no charcoal grill is going to "shut off" the minute you close the vents. It'll starve itself of oxygen to a point. But these things aren't air tight to begin with. Are you in an apt? trying to understand the worry here.

You could always go the opposite direction and fully open the vents, take off the lid, and let it get as hot as possible to burn the charcoal away completely. This is usually what I do and it only takes about 1-2 hours for the charcoal to become ash. It wastes charcoal but I don't reuse it because I always have better heat control for smoking if I use all new, fresh charcoal.

You could always go the opposite direction and fully open the vents, take off the lid, and let it get as hot as possible to burn the charcoal away completely. This is usually what I do and it only takes about 1-2 hours for the charcoal to become ash. It wastes charcoal but I don't reuse it because I always have better heat control for smoking if I use all new, fresh charcoal.

that way is more likely to start a fire.

that way is more likely to start a fire.

It depends on where the grill is sitting and other factors. I grill in my driveway and I usually finish at 6 or 7 at night so by the time I'm ready to go to bed, the grill is completely cool so I can roll it back to its home underneath the work bench in my garage. If you have to put the grill away immediately after cooking, you are going to have a fire risk no matter what. Charcoal only lasts for an hour at max heat, so for me, its the quickest way to get my grill cool while burning off the grate at the same time.

My Weber Performer completely snuffs out the coals in an hour or so when I close all of the vents. I'll use the same batch of charcoal for multiple cooks.

If any oxygen is coming in around the vents or the lid, you're going to keep producing heat. You must have a gap(s) somewhere.

Ditto. My Performer is almost completely cold in 30 minutes after I shut bottom and top vents. Love that grill. FWIW, I use lump coals; I can shut the grill vents, coals die out, and I re-use the same half-burnt coals another day.

Back