2 batches per yeast sachet?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mkptym

Reaction score
When brewing two standard batches, would it work to split a premium yeast sachet between the two batches?

I routinely do this. I buy one pack of wyeast, smack it, and make at least 2 starters with it before I pitch into my wort.

You can make hundreds of batches from a single sachet of yeast if you really care to. Harvest the slurry upon racking. Best practice is to "wash" the yeast...but I am lazy and sometimes just repitch a portion of the slurry into my next batch, You can also save the yeast cake in the refrigerator in a sanitized container...I prefer to just use ziplock bags as I figure they are sanitized during manufacturing, hopefully....hah. I try and reuse the yeast promptly and not let it "hang around" too long, how long is too long, IDK.

Best practice is probably not to split a pack of yeast, for the couple three dollars it costs.

When brewing two standard batches, would it work to split a premium yeast sachet between the two batches?

You might get a slow start that way. I'd pitch one, wait until the fermentation really got going, then take a sample and use it to inoculate the second. The more transferred the better, so it works best when the two beers are identical (or at least similar.)

Back