Burners at Home Depot

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I use an SP-10. Works great for 10 gallon batches. The only trouble with it is the windshield (which is great in itself) means I have to move my pot to light it. Which can be an issue if you put the flame out with a boil over with 14 gallons of wort in your 15 gallon pot. I just need to put a small hole in the windshield to fit my lighter through I guess...

Note that the regulator is what determines the actual BTUs. The SP10 has a 20 psi reg and so will put out more heat than the 15 psi on the SQ14. However, either will be sufficient for 7.5 gallons.

Is anyone brewing on one of these burners? Also, would you recommend using either of these burners for boiling up to 7.5 gallons, or get a Blichman?

Bayou Classic; Model SP10

Bayou Classic; Model SQ14

I look forward to reading your responses.

I have one of each of those burners. I much prefer the SQ-14 over the SP-10. The SQ-14 uses a ring burner which, IMO provides better heat distribution. It is also quieter and has better flame control at all levels It's more fuel efficient and has power to spare for even 12 gallon batches.

I have one sq14, and i just ordered another, today actually. I like it mainly because it accommodates a keg kettle the best. And its fuel efficient.

I'm hoping that it will be powerful enough for ten gallon batches, its definitely plenty for five (i usually do a 7.5 gallon boil, and it can easily boil over my 12.5 g keg).

The Only drawback is its lack of wind protection; easily remedied for most.

I have one sq14, and i just ordered another, today actually. I like it mainly because it accommodates a keg kettle the best. And its fuel efficient.

I'm hoping that it will be powerful enough for ten gallon batches, its definitely plenty for five (i usually do a 7.5 gallon boil, and it can easily boil over my 12.5 g keg).

The Only drawback is its lack of wind protection; easily remedied for most.

The SQ-14 has plenty of power for ten gallon batches. I often do twelve gallon batches with the converted keg BK nearly filled to the brim and it handle that with ease. I don't use a wind screen of any kind, but if it's breezy I don't brew outside. It would be easy to fabricate something if needed though.

Your links didn't work for me. Just out of curiosity, I wanted to see if these would work better:

Bayou Classic; Model SP10

Bayou Classic; Model SQ14

edit: nope.

The links must've changed since last night, but at least you have a model name and number to look up if you feel so inclined. (Hope I didn't miss a sale.)

Everyone, thank you for the responses. I'm going to go with the SQ14 per your recommendations. Thank you very much for all of your input and help.

Back