Extract Substitute for Munich Malt

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rtbrews

Reaction score
I am looking to make an extract version of a recipe that calls for 50% Munich Malt and 50% Crystal Malt. It is my understanding that I cannot use Munich for extract brewing.

What grain or combination of grains could I steep to substitute for the Munich? Or maybe I am just completely wrong and can use Munich to steep

Thanks

There are many sources of Munich malt extract, including Northern Brewer and Austinhomebrew. The crystal might be a bit more of a problem. What Lovibond?

I'm sorry, I think I gave the wrong idea completely. I meant grain, not malt extract.

It was suggested I use 1/2 lb of Crystal 40L grain and 1/2 lb of Munich Malt to steep for 60 minutes, but I was confused as to how I could steep Munich malt so I guess I am asking what grain I could steep or combination of that would best replace the Munich Malt. Hopefully that make smore sense than my original post.

Ahh, ok, that makes a lot more sense. As david said, you can buy munich LME, but it probably wouldn't be worth it for only a half a lb. You can mini-mash the munich, which is like steeping, but you've got to hold the temp between 150 and 160 for about 30 minutes to convert the starches to sugars. The crystal malt is already converted. The munich malt can convert itself, but you might want to add a lb of 2-row pale malt to the mini mash in order to get full conversion.

KB has the right idea, the Munich will convert itself and you'll get a little extra from the C40L. Use 1.5 quarts of water at about 165F, mix in the grain and adjust to152F.

I found two options. One said 1/2 lb of Crystal grain and 1/2lb munich. This was the more complicated AG recipe that I had no clue how to convert:

9.75 lb of 2-row
.75 lb of Dextrin Malt
.75 lb Belgian Caramunich
.75 lb German Munich
.5 lb 40L Crystal

Thanks for the above suggestions very much. I have not tried sparging before as I have only brewed a few batches, but I will look into it.

you could do the mini mash as above, but if you want to keep it extract, you could do this (assuming 5 gals @ 1.065 OG):

-steep these as usual:
0.75 lb of Dextrin Malt
0.75 lb Belgian Caramunich
0.50 lb 40L Crystal

-kettle:
1 lb munich liquid extract
7.1 lb extra light liquid extract

Thanks so much. The OG is supposed to be 1.065 so maybe just add another pound of extra light extract?

Back