Another minifridge question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MikeRLynch

Reaction score
Alright, I searched the forums a bit but I didn't find what I was looking for.

My question is this, what specific brand and size of mini fridge will be big enough yet cheap enough (looking for $125 to $180 tops) to hold a carboy?

I'm not looking to make a kegerator out of it (although, I could) I just need to be able to control my ferment temps. I've looked at a few, but the compressor hump in the back doesn't leave enough floor space for the carboy (I'm using 6.5 gal glass). Anyone seen anything out there that fits the bill?

I would just buy the tallest mini fridge you can get. Then remove the plastic shelving stuff on the door.

Or you can go with a little freezer like this:

http://www.samsclub.com/shopping/navigate.do?&dest=5&item=137426&cid=SearchResult|661712|5.0+cu.+ft.+-+GE%C2%AE++Manual+Defrost+Chest+Freezer

I would get a thermostat for it.

Sanyo 4912 would work, so would the Oster and the Haier that people make kegerators out of.

Madewith is right, just replace the door, and any 4+ cubic foot fridge should work

That mini freezer actually looks like it will work, and the price is a hell of a lot better than the mini fridges. With the combined cost of a temp control, it would still be less than the sanyo alone. Now if I can just fit it in my closet :p

Back