What do I need to make a root beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

newbrewr4fun

Reaction score
Okay,
I have my deluxe beer brewing kit and am working on the first batch.

After I brew my second batch I would like to make some root beer. What other equipment do I need? Also, what is a good kit or recipe?
Thanks.

Quick question, because I am interested in doing this for the wife.

Is there any chance that the soda will taste funny if you use your beer siphon and hose? I usually oxy-clean and sanitize my hose prior to use.

I've actually found that its harder to get the rootbeer flavor out of the equipment afterward.

All you really need is rootbeer extract, sugar, water, champagne yeast.

I boiled up some water, added extract and sugar. Let it cool and then added the yeast and bottled immediately.

I used my old mr. beer fermenter to mix the yeast in and used it's handy spigot to assist in bottling. But I suppose you could just use a funnel.

Anyway, my old Mr. Beer container in now dedicated to rootbeer, because I can't get that smell out.

Can you bottle the Gnome products in glass bottles? From what I read, this is a bad idea.

Thanks,
Mike

You just need to be careful with the level of carbonation, they can turn into bottle bombs really fast, which is why a lot of people use the amber PET bottles with screw caps.

You just need to be careful with the level of carbonation, they can turn into bottle bombs really fast, which is why a lot of people use the amber PET bottles with screw caps.

Hmmm... the problem really is the storage space. If I have to refrigerate the whole shebang after a week, that would be a deal-breaker. Is it possible to only use half of the Gnome kit or does it go bad once you open it?

Not sure, never used the Gnome stuff. I got a gallon jug of the root beer syrup from norther brewer. I used half at a time about three months apart, force carbed it in a corny then bottled in glass. (I only did that because I knew the level of carb wouldnt rise). I kept the half jug of syrup in the fridge and it didnt appear to loose any flavor or have any other problems.

Back