Picture an American light lager, but with ale yeast

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SkinnyShamrock

Reaction score
That's what I'm trying for. Certain people I share my beer with (including my mother haha) say that I make all "hoppy stuff." After making fun of them for being sissies, I decided I'd make something really light and easy to drink for them. I have .5 lb of light extract and 3 oz. of Centennial and 1 oz. of Amarillo sitting around, so I incorporated those into the recipe.

3.5 lbs light dry extract
2 lbs CaraPils, steeped at 155*

.2 oz. of pellet Centennial boiled for 60 minutes
.5 oz. of leaf Amarillo boiled for 15 minutes

Safale US-05 or WLP001 ale yeast

TastyBrew says: OG- 1.036, FG- 1.009, SRM- 2, 16 IBU, 3.5% ABV

How's that for light and not hoppy?

Looks pretty good but man, 2lb of carapils? Are you sure??

It looks like a blonde is what your after.....why not .5lb crystal 10 instead of the carapils and maybe look into the late addition extract method?

Maybe drop the carapils to 1# and up the extract. Or do a minimash with 1# of 2-row and 1# of carapils. I'd add about a pound of corn sugar to get up the ABV without upping the FG but that's me. Hops sound good. I love Amarillo hops. If only they made an air freshener... :D

- Eric

Mix the specialty grains to 1# each of crystal 10 and .5 carapils and up the extract. Add a bit of gypsum to to bring the RA down a bit due to the 1.5 pounds of grain added. This will reduce "harshness" and bring the sugars in balance with one another.

Looks like a tastey brew and a nice session one at that.

- WW

I added 1 lb. of American light wheat extract and lowered the CaraPils to 1 lb. That upped the alcohol a bit and made it slightly heavier, 1.010 FG, 4% ABV. And yea, I suppose this would be called a blonde ale.

I would love to use a cream ale yeast, but unfortunately the coolest my house gets this time of year is 72 degrees, maybe 70 on the concrete floor in our shop/laundry room. I will get around to building a fermentation cooler eventually, but right now insurance and phone bills are a little more important :D

I do like the look of WLP008, East Coast Ale yeast. White Labs says it's good for blonde ales. Ferments up to 73*, right in my range. Now I just have to find it.

A cheap and easy way to keep the temperatures down is to put your primary fermenter in a cooler with some water in it. Wrap a t-shirt or towel around the fermenter and the evaporative cooling will drop it a few degrees. To drop it a little further, freeze a couple water bottles and keep a frozen water bottle in the cooler with the water (swapping them as needed).

This is what I am doing on my American Amber right now and the fermenter definitely feels cooler than the ambient air in my house, which is about 74 F.

Back