German yeast and long ferments

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

McCall St. Brewer

Reaction score
I brewed a kolsch on Sunday and it's still bubbling away here on Friday. I seems as though whenever I brew a batch with German yeast- kolsch or German Ale Yeast- I get really long ferments. Other varieties of yeast tend to be pretty vigorous for 24-48 hours, but then pretty much fizzle out. Two of my best batches ever, an Oktoberfest style ale, and an extract kolsch, both took a long time to finish fermenting.

Hopefully the fact that the one I have going now is still bubbling is a good sign.

This is good to know. I'm using German Ale yeast (Wyeast 1007) for the first time right now. After 9 days gravity had dropped from 1.052 to 1.013. I'll check it again to make sure its done before bottling.

Beerthoven said:
This is good to know. I'm using German Ale yeast (Wyeast 1007) for the first time right now. After 9 days gravity had dropped from 1.052 to 1.013. I'll check it again to make sure its done before bottling.

I was considering using that yeast for my Altbier but was a little hesitant because of the optimal ferment. temp. I believe your supposed to keep it under 66f? What temp are you fermenting at?

HOOTER said:
I was considering using that yeast for my Altbier but was a little hesitant because of the optimal ferment. temp. I believe your supposed to keep it under 66f? What temp are you fermenting at?

I'm fermenting at 64º.

Anytime you ferment at a lower temperature, the fermentation tends to take longer. That's just the way beasties work. As far as I know (and recall at the moment), all the German styles are fermented best at lower temperatures, so that is why you see what you see.

TL

Back