Duck Breast Ham! super easy

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dinnerstick

Reaction score
i never expected it to be so easy, nor so tasty. more or less copied a raymond blanc recipe that can be found on youtube. fresh thyme, a juniper berry or two, coarse salt, and black pepper ground in mortar and pestle. mix in a lot more salt, slit the skin on the duck, rub the mixture into both sides, put it in a non-reactive bread pan or something, cover and leave in the fridge overnight. next day, wash it well in cold running water, pat dry, wrap loosely in a couple layers of cheesecloth, and hang somewhere cool and dry for a couple weeks, or as long as you like. it's nice when it's soft but it's way better when it's getting firm and dark! the fat under the skin melts like butter in your mouth. a few slices is a decadent treat. it's tough to stop, but it's easy to cross the line to fat overload. the pic is after 20 days hanging, around 12-14 deg C.

DSC_9474.jpg

If you want a great source for a great recipe for "Duck Prosciutto," or duck ham as the OP called it, then pick up a copy of Charcuterie, by Brian Polcyn and Michael Ruhlman. It has great simple recipes for cured meats, sausages, pickles, etc. It is very easy to follow and will lead to some great food. If you want a really great cured flavor in that duck breast, you may want to add some pink salt (curing salt). I find the pink salt really adds that great cured flavor, and it keeps the meat nice and bright red.

nice- i have to say this is my first meat curing attempt of anything so i have no experience with the nitrate salts. cured duck like this is probably a gateway drug, it's so easy and so good.

Back