First boil over on first brew

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BansheeRider

Reaction score
Lost about 1/4 of a gallon when I added the hops. Did I loose the hops? Will everything still be good?

You probably lost some, but I doubt you lost all of them. I know when I hop the bloom in the kettle is huge and many new brewers think once the boil gets going they are safe, but don't know the tendency for the foam to rise when the hops are added. Everything should still be fine. We've all done it one or more times.

Chances are you're fine. Next time turn the heat down when you add hops and add them a few nuggets at a time. It's easier to gauge the reaction that way and find the correct rate to add them.. A few seconds difference at each hop interval does not make a huge difference. RDWHAHB.

Chances are you're fine. Next time turn the heat down when you add hops and add them a few nuggets at a time. It's easier to gauge the reaction that way and find the correct rate to add them.. A few seconds difference at each hop interval does not make a huge difference. RDWHAHB.

Thanks! I was really upset and was pissed off when I was cleaning up the mess. It spilled all over in my garage and all over my new burner. It was probably less than 1/4 gallon thank goodness. My father was standing by ready to turn down the burner in case of a boil over. Very depressing for a first brew.

BansheeRider said:
Thanks! I was really upset and was pissed off when I was cleaning up the mess. It spilled all over in my garage and all over my new burner. It was probably less than 1/4 gallon thank goodness. My father was standing by ready to turn down the burner in case of a boil over. Very depressing for a first brew.

Think of it as breaking in your equipment... We've all been there. It's one of the benefits of brewing in the garage-- easier to clean up than the stove top, around the stove, etc.

Absolutely! Had probably five believers... it's always when you look away for just a second right? Don't worry about it. Everything will be fine

Does your wife IRON clothes? If so she probably has a small spray bottle of water she uses to dampen what she is ironing. Borrow it each time you boil your wort. Just as it begins to boil, turn down the heat a bit as begin spraying the water into the boil pot. This can/will stop boil over, do the same as you add your hops. I haven't had a boil over in over a year since I began this method.

Squirt bottles work as well as having an oscilliating fan blowing on the kettle.

Boilovers aren't anything to get worked up about. My other suggestion would be to get a bigger pot. Therefore you have more head space so when you add hops there is more room for the wort to exand.

When I brewed my latest PM ale the begining of the month,I kept it stired after the sparge & heating up to boiling. Kept the big quickly foaming hot break down to 1/4" or so. Even after the .5oz bittering addition I got very little hot break rising.
I did get about 1L of cold break/trub right after topping off with ice cold water stir & pitch @ 66F. That has since compressed to maybe 3/8". So stirring the wort while it heats up to boiling seems to reduce the hot break. It happens right before it boils.

Squirt bottles work as well as having an oscilliating fan blowing on the kettle.

Boilovers aren't anything to get worked up about. My other suggestion would be to get a bigger pot. Therefore you have more head space so when you add hops there is more room for the wort to exand.

Yep, pots too small. Some Fermcap-S would probably help a lot too.

Rick

The pot is 5 gallons. I started with 2.5 gallons in the pot. Which leaves over 2 gallon head space. It was my ignorance that caused it to happen. I had a spray bottle in my hand ready to use but it happened so quick, a blink of an eye.

Yup,it rises up rather quickly,go nuts for 3 minutes,then poof! Gone in the blink of an eye. And the 5 gallon kettle is plenty big enough. I do 3+ gallon boils in mine,even with PMBIAB with partial boil. You just have to stay there & mind it.

Your beer is ruined. What you should do now is let it sit for 3 weeks, bottle it, let is sit for 3 more weeks and then send it to me for disposal. I'll take care of it for you.;)

Back