Brett Saison Question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Douglefish

Reaction score
So I made an extract Brett Saison and don't taste any funkiness at this point in time and wonder if it makes sense or need to pitch more Brett. It was a 10 gallon batch so I stepped up a starter of the Dupont Strain (3724). Half way through the steps I threw in Brett C. Decanted and Pitched.

Currently I'm at about 1.020 and it's slowly chugging away at about 83 degrees. Last hydrometer test I tasted it and it was very tasty, but clean.

Would you not expect any flavor contribution from the Brett at this point?
Do I need to leave it at room temp for a couple months to do it's job, or could it somehow died off in the process?

it can take a little while, not months in my experience but it will continue to develop in the bottle.

You should let it go at room temp for a couple months. Brett doesn't die but it can go slow and takes patience. It will also eat the more complex sugars so your FG should be quite low before it's done. That's when you'll get your Brett character and it intensifies with time for a while.

At least that's what I've learned from the two Bretted beers I've made.

Back