Japan Hops Trading -

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
ca. 23 (max 27cm) x 33 cm x 66 cm

So, not as small as they may look!

True, the maximum volume in not fully used....
I can't recall the advertised vol. but I bought them in acoordance with knowledge of what other people were using/suggesting.

The important point here is the 3 planters are all the same volume,
but the 3 plants are way different in their growth.

SNOW16:
Where did you get your Centennials? Are they from the same imeadiate source as mine?
If so, and my fear is well founded, I suspect your centennials won't do well...
Please keep me informed.
I hope I am wrong!

Update:

Magnum : no change, some spikes.

Centennial : Finally, exhibitting normal growth, with some bullish masculine vines... no burrs yet but still very promising at this point.

Other Hops : on 2nd and third flushes, or finished for the season.

When about are you guys typically harvesting? As Japanese summers are pretty long for most of the country is it more like late September? One of my plants is coning out pretty good, but they are still somewhat small. My other two are starting to yellow mid bine, probably getting too hot. These two also had spider mite issues the whole season, and only have a few small cones, so not expecting much.

When about are you guys typically harvesting?

Nobody has answerd so I will comment and update my rambling bines.

My harvest dates fall between end of July to mid Sept. ;
usually I get two crops which I combine.
This year was a bit strange.
Unseasonal Weather... or just my depression?

My regulars were harvested in Aug. Later, No more flowers were produced.
Chinese single strand 100¥-shop ASA HIMO broke 3 times this year
overall yield was down by about 30%.

The Centennial that has had such a hard time - finally flowered
and the smallish cones were picked between Sept 20 and 26.

The Magnum stopped growing at the size shown above.

I still want some new stock. If anyone is going to Germany,
or wants to group buy next march, please keep me in mind.

Its been a while since I posted! So my A-Frame trellis ended up completely overgrown by the hyoutan and hops, creating a nice dark tunnel between my house and the neighbours. This was really appreciated during the heat of the summer, I think it was a good 10C cooler in the house because of it! Too bad the bottle gourds got the upper hand and the hops didnt do well, only the cascade on the end produced much, with the other hops shaded out too much. Even the cascade only got harvested last week, and smelled too grassy to me - they were starting to get dry and browned and should have been perfect picking but the aroma was way different than I expected (fine when I rubbed a cone between my palms though)

Me and my dad just brewed and are transferring to fermenter a hoppy wheat ale from unhopped extract. We only used the homegrown cascade for aroma, and legacy for the bittering. Once it hit the kettle the cascade seemed to lose the grassy smell but didnt get a potent C note.

I have decided that Magnum and Centennial are not cutting it in this climate either, and will be interested in replacing them with other stock next year.

Who here has used this site for detailed info on the varieties?
http://beerlegends.com/hops-varieties
I think I will go through them to find tougher strains that have a high yield, and then try to sort out which of those to order. If I can't easily grow the popular ones here along the humid coast, I should be pragmatic about it and find something that at least is producing something.

And to end on at least a positive note, all the hops I have are at least full of decent sized bines and appear healthy, even if their production failed. Next year I won't plant gourds near them and hit them with preventative NEEM oil earlier on to keep those caterpillars away.

Well, I got one smallish but decent harvest from one plant in time to late wet hop a CDA I brewed 2 weeks ago and since then have had about the same amount on the same plant mature further up the bine. One of my other two cascades got super genki out of nowhere and has a load of good looking flowers on it. I still has some burrs, so might get 2 harvests out of it as well. Ill probably do the first picking from it this weekend or the next. Ill post some pics when I get home.

Hey Brendan,
I'll be over in Tochigi province for work from next weekend.

A couple of questions if you can help:

1. How / where can I buy Japanese hops (dried leaf or pellet) to bring back for brewing?
Do homebrew shops exist out there?

2. I grow 3 varieties myself in the UK - Goldings, Cascade and Chinook - assuming I can get them through the airport I'd be happy to bring you a cutting or two.

Any advice on question 1 would be very welcome.

Cheers.

I am looking into a getting a group buy going for hops this year.

Anyone interested?

Were there any issues with the last group buy? Did things work out well?
(It might be a bit early, but you might be able to find buds already if you look for them)

BF

I'm interested in a group buy. Which company ships to Japan? Or are there any military guys on here who could receive them for us?

That's what I've enquired about.
Some sources don't ship to APO addresses, but it might save a few $.
if they ship internationally we should be good.
AIH was used last time...
I plan on comparing our options then report back.

Group consensus and the like....

Cheers. Are you also the person on the Tokyo Home Brewer FB page who is organizing a group buy? Last month I sent message to Fresh Hops but never heard anything back from them. I also sent a message to MoreBeer but still waiting.

Nail on the Head.:) (How can I recogize you?-Are you going Hanami-ing?)

I have sent out about 10 letters so far... the 1st reply just came in negative.
The 2 you mention, I also contacted... no response yet.

So last year I contacted fresh hops and had to beg for 12 rhizomes. Apparently its a huge pain in the ass because they have to go through a health inspection for the plants to make sure they don't have any crazy fungus or bacteria on it. So a lot of people don't want to ship to FPO because of that.

I heard back from Toronto Home Brewing and they are willing to ship to Japan but depends on the size of the order. They didn't give me any specifics though about what is a big enough order. They have Cascade, Centennial, Chinook, Fuggle, Hallertau, Kent Golding, and Williamette on Pre-order. The cost is 8.99 $CND per rhizome but I have no information on the price of shipping. Exchange rates are pretty favorable right now.

Nail on the Head.:) (How can I recogize you?-Are you going Hanami-ing?)

I have sent out about 10 letters so far... the 1st reply just came in negative.
The 2 you mention, I also contacted... no response yet.

I'm in the Tokyo group. My name is Bradley. I started the thread about hop rhizomes in that group the other day. I won't be hanami-ing this year because we've bought a new house and will be moving then...

Toronto Home Brewing? Toronto Brewing... they have more than 1 location.
1 says yes other says no.

I got a positive response from one place and a no from AIH.

I am working on a wish list... anyone what to chime in?
Even if you are not buying this year, which hop dificult to get here, or hop plant, would you like to be able to get in the future?

Group Rhizome Buy

Let me know how many of which varieties you want to grow by PM etc.

The full list for this season:

Brewer’s Gold
Canadian Redvine
Cascade
Centennial
Chinook
Crystal
CTZ
Fuggle
Golding
Hallertauer
Magnum
Mt. Hood
Newport
Northern Brewer
Nugget
Perle
Sorachi Ace
Spalt Select
Sterling
Teamaker
Tettnanger
Ultra
Willamette
Wye Challenger
Wye Viking

Our cost will reflect a combination of charges:
the rhizomes (~US$ 6 ea.),
a single phytosanitary certificate for the lot ($35) and
S & H (related to final weight)

Let me know how many of which varieties you want to grow,
and I will get a quote.

Thanks for the correction; Things are progressing, however a few people who are participating seem to be AFK and I am stressing over not knowing when I will hear from them... I know I will have to drop them if they don't surface soon. (are you familiar with "hanami"? I am going to wait to cut anyone untill after that event as it is possible they will show up there (this weekend). I apologize. We can't wait forever, yet cutting "no shows" will raise everyone's cost... & I am unable to carry their burden until they do show up.

Just to be clear, do you mean in addition to the 4 you have agreed to buy...
or just in total?

If the former, that could really help... but I hope such measures won't be necessary! Lets see what happens by early next week...
I’ll do the math again around Tuesday and then let you where we stand.

Yeah, if you get stuck with a few extra ill take them. 4 of my plants from last year died because I had them in pots and they didnt get enough sun light. So im willing to take some more if needed.

No, I was un able to confirm any communication from you. Perhaps you could PM me your FB name, or give me a clue as to what to look for? Thanks!

This is just to announce to non-participant on-lookers that the hops arrived a few days ago & have been distributed. Hopefully they will do well in their new homes! Thanks to everyone for their trust and patience.

The Stork Has Landed!

I can say first hand that they will be okay. I had a plant die on my last year and i just left it for dead in the pot, as soon as i put it back in thesun and buried it in fresh soil it came back.

For those who were involved in the group buy, how are your hops turning out? I've only had two of four come up and at this point I think the other two are a lost cause. So my Magnum and Centennial worked but Cascade and Chinook didn't.

Back