Pacman dormant at 60 degrees?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kasky99

Reaction score
So almost three weeks ago I pitched pacman into some amber ale I was making. I kept the fermentation temp exactly at 60. The fermentation took off and foamed along nicely for a week before it started to slow down. The krausen fell to about an inch and I assumed that it had about a week left plus one or two weeks of clearing and then I would take an FG sample. Next thing I know that inch of krausen hangs around for about a week and didn't seem to be doing anything. I went ahead and dry hopped and out of curiosity raised the temp to 68, next thing I know it took off again! The krausen raised another two inches and the airlock even started bubbling again. Now it has been fermenting like this for another 4 days and doesn't even seem to be slowing down yet! In my experiance I have taken pacman down to 56 degrees before and it still fermented perfectly. Why would it go dorment at 60? I mean, that is even the temperature rogue uses to ferment all of their beers with it! Has anyone else ever had this issue?

I have used Pacman that I cultured from a bottle, and I will have to claim that it can be a temperamental little bastard, IMO.

I had to let it go because of its bad attitude.

Cheers!

I haven't had issues with Pacman at any temperature. I ferment most @ 60 degrees for two weeks, then up to 70, then down to 40 to clear. Total time, four weeks.

Are you sure it's not foam from the dry hops? Dry hopping releases residual CO2 from the beer. This can cause foam and airlock activity especially if you are dry hopping in a carboy with very little head space.

BBL_Brewer said:
Are you sure it's not foam from the dry hops? Dry hopping releases residual CO2 from the beer. This can cause foam and airlock activity especially if you are dry hopping in a carboy with very little head space.

I thought the same but new yeast rafts are forming an dropping to the bottom then rising back up. Never had this issue with pacman before.

Back