Grain/extract Additions to make up for volume loss when adding frozen fruit?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Zalf

Reaction score
Most of my homebrew batches are fruit beers with either a wheat or blonde base racked over a large amount of fruit in a secondary. This usually leads to a significant amount of volume loss once all is said and done.

Do the rest of the fruit beer brewers just accept the volume loss or are there some go to grain/extract additions to make a 5 gallon batch start off as a 6 gallon batch knowing a gallon or so will be lost with the fruit?

Right now I have two batches going. Both are using the AHBS Texas Blonde partial mash with abv booster as the base. 1 is the basic 5 gallon batch recipe over 8 lbs of strawberries expecting a volume loss. 1 is the same recipe with an additional gallon of water at the beginning to go over 8 lbs of peaches.

First batch hit the expected OG and the second batch was predictably short of the OG. Ideally I would like to come up with a repeatable plan to end up with 5 gallons of beer using the AHBS kit with simple additions to make up for the volume loss coming off of the frozen fruit.

Anyone have a tried and true simple method?

Back