What's your dirty secret?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

God Emporer BillyBrew

Reaction score
No, not what you're all thinking. Get your minds out of the gutter. :D

I mean do you drink crap beer and if yes, which crap beer do you drink? I have to admit that I drink Busch light if I'm out of home brew and don't have the funds to drink good beer. I figure if I'm going to drink water, I might as well drink cheap, low carb water.

C'mon guys, confess!

I drink all types of beer, commercial stuff included. I usually keep a stock of Bud Light in the beer fridge, as that is the commercial beer of choice for my brothers, and me too when I am not drinking good beer. I also like Corona once in a while. I come from a large (9 kids) Irish family, so a good supply of beer is a staple. I know that compared to good beers and home brews that it is basically water with fizz and alcohol, but when nice and cold it can hit the spot.

and I am not ashamed to admit it...

I find that what (commercial) beer I drink depends on what mood I am in. Sometimes, I prefer bottle conditioned ale, and sometimes I just like a four pack of Fosters! I'm not into the whole booze snobbery thing (the wine conno's have got that side of things well wrapped up! ;) ) One ale I really love is a local brew to me, HSB bitter brewed by Gale and Sons brewery, and it is only £4 ish for a four pack...good stuff!

Experiment, try a variety of ales, and when you come back to your homebrew you will remind yourself of that whole different level...... :) :drunk:

orfy said:
Ha Ha....
That's easy, Asda 4 pack bitter for 88p ($1.50) but only when I'm at a BBQ and have to drive, I drink 2 and leave 2. (2.8%)

Dude, there are limits, there is a line in the sand, and you have just pole-volted over that line! ;)

For all you American cousins, Asda = Wal Mart

It's better than cola or pond water. (Just)
At present I'm drinking Leffe, A blond Abbey beer. 6x12oz.
The bottles will come in handy for early drinking samples.

Hi my name is Scott and I'm an ocassional crap beer drinker. :(

Yes, I have been known to keep bud light as well as Shiner Bock in my fridge as staples. I don't have now but I do still ocassionally pick up a six pack.

There I've said it. The shame, the shame :(

orfy said:
It's better than cola or pond water. (Just)
At present I'm drinking Leffe, A blond Abbey beer. 6x12oz.
The bottles will come in and for early drinking samples.

Leffe, nice beer! :) I spent a few days in Leuven a few years back. The Belgians sure do make good beer.

I don't think that there is much shame in it. It is what it is...Mass produced weak tasting beer. I think the sad part is that for a large amount of people, that is the extent to which they have dipped their tow into the beer pool, so to speak. Kinda like living on WonderBread, having never tasted "fresh out the oven" homemade breads. Doesn't mean that I don't have a PB&J on Wonder from time to time, but with good meals it is always good fresh bread.

That's the analogy I use......

ScottT said:
Yes, I have been known to keep bud light as well as Shiner Bock in my fridge as staples.
Do these two really belong in the same category?

And as for myself...I have no dirty beer secrets. If BMC is all that's available, I drink water.

On occasion I pick up a sixer of Rio Blanco Pal Ale ( to help out the locals ) or if I can find it , Flying Dog Pale Ale . No BMC of any weight in my house.

when I go to vist my family during the holidays (in rural nortwest Ohio.... about 30 miles away from absolutely nothing), the only choices for beer in the bars are the big three americans. The only import they offer Molsons.

So, since I have no choice, I just order a Big Andre. That's a 40oz mug of draught Bud Lite. I always have a couple, and I always feel like total hell the next day.

-walker

El Pistolero said:
Do these two really belong in the same category?
QUOTE]

I think so. Drink a real German Bock and then drink a Shiner. They are not the same in body, sweetness, or bitterness. While Shiner is a drinkable beer, they use corn in their mash to thin it out and boost the ABV. Yes, it's a beer with flavor but not true Bock flavor IMO. Hey, I feel the same way about Killians and Bud Light. I can drink these too and enjoy them but not truely savor and appreciate them like a full rich brittish ale or a light full flavored weizen.

Sure, compared to a real German bock, Shiner might come up a bit short...but that doesn't put it in the same class as Bud Light.

I have admitted to having a Coors Light once in a while - mostly if I have been out playing basketball or working outside on a hot day. It works well for rehydration - kind of like Gatorade (with about the same amount of kick - anyone who ever got buzzed on Coors Light did so because they were highly motivated).

But for actual beer drinking, the closest I come to a guilty pleasure is Yeungling's - lager or Black and Tan. They both deliver a great combination - cheap and very good. The lager, especially, in the Philly area, is hugely popular, to the point where if you go into any bar in the area and simply order a lager, you get Yeungling's.

Used to be Miller Lite for me, before I started homebrewing. Now if I'm desperate for cheap beer, it's Yuengling for me also. Not just lager though... premium, light, black and tan... whatever they've got :D

Old Style, Old English, Mickey's, Miller Lite, MGD, MGD Lite, Michelob...

If it's what's available, I'll guzzle it.

I still drink the occasional Miller Lite or Corona, typically when at a friends place (and already provided for :))

BlightyBrewer said:
I find that what (commercial) beer I drink depends on what mood I am in. Sometimes, I prefer bottle conditioned ale, and sometimes I just like a four pack of Fosters! I'm not into the whole booze snobbery thing (the wine conno's have got that side of things well wrapped up!

I agree with BB, go with what you fancy! I can go from Scrumpy to Sancerre to Sam Smiths, and have even taken on the horror of Sake!

Not on the same day though, I learnt the hard way many years ago about mixing drinks with Merrydown Cider and Tennant's Super snakebites..... :D

I go with the High Life. But I will drink any kind of beer some nights if it gets me good and drunk!

Caplan said:
I can go from Scrumpy to Sancerre to Sam Smiths, and have even taken on the horror of Sake!

Scrumpy? Is that the foul brew from the Terry Pratchett "Discworld" fantasy books?

-walker

Yeah, I looked online. Scumble is the name of the brew in Pratchett's books. However, Scumble is described in the books as a cloudy STRONG apple beer drink. No man can drink more than a couple pints without risking blindness and dimentia.

Sounds like it's the exact same thing to me.

-walker

I usually have a good supply of Ice House. It's 5.5% ABV and does the job in a pinch. I also occassionally have some Heineken and a bottle of Guinness or 2. Funny thing, though, is that if any of my friends don't want to try the hombrew first and then they find out what their options are, they usually go ahead and go for the homebrew. :confused: :p

loop

With all due respect (and I mean that) to Budweiser, PBR is the King of Cheap Beers in my house. I actually don't mind it in the proper context. I've always got a 6 or 12'er of something like Miller or Michelob laying around that someone brought over for a party, and I'll drink them without compunction if I'm out of 'good' beer.

If I have a light Mexican beer such as Pacifico/Sol/Corona laying about I'll make a michelada out of it in the summer (basically an iced beer concotion with lemon juice and regional variations such as clamato, jugo de magi, chili powder, and served with a salted rim).

O.K., O.K. - I'll admit it. When I go to the local "hole in the wall" bar with the workmates, all they sell is the cheapest of the cheap beer. I guy can't get anything beyond bud, busch, and miller. Talk about a headache the next morning.

Just don't drink Micholob Ultra! Horse Piss!

gibfried said:
Just don't drink Micholob Ultra! Horse Piss!

This is the stuff that must have been tasted when the old joke was written (that is, why is drinking light beer like making love in a canoe?).

I can't stomach most commercial beers anymore. All the light beers taste like they were mopped up from the floor of the mens room after happy hour. Budweiser is the only macro-brew I allow in the house. Still fond of Goose Island every now and again.

I usually don't drink any of the big 3 stuff.

I will occasionally go for a Colt 45 when I am on travel through certain neighborhoods just to avoid the big 3.

When I travel I usually sample the local stuff.

I was just in Korea where I paid $8.00 for a Franziskaner Hefe Weizen and $5 for Hoegarden, but only $2 for the local stuff.

Back