Oh Bung!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JillC25

Reaction score
I purchased a plastic lid with a drilled hole from morebeer.com. When I tried to secure the bung in the hole it went right through. So the bung hole was drilled too big. Can you buy different sized bungs? I didn't know if i got one that was larger if my airlock wouldn't be snug. Should I get a new drilled lid?

They tend to pop out pretty easily. You just have to be gentle.

Be honest, this thread is just a vehicle for innuendo, isn't it? :D

I crammed my airlock deep into the bung. :eek:
That made the bung bigger and provided a snug fit. :D
Don't get too gassed up about it about it.
Basically, it's only by-product gasses that escape out your bung hole. :drunk:

I have two traps because some lids have larger holes than others. You could just get a larger cork and shift the trap as necessary, but traps are cheap enough & some day you'll want to do multiple batches. Take the lid to your store and buy what fits.

I, too, put my airlock into the bung first. Then I just press on the top side of the bung to secure it, not the airlock. I've never had a bung go into a container yet. :D

Bungs come in lots of sizes.

As I see it, you have 3 choices: 1) Take your lid to the HBS to test drive their bung sizes; 2) place the lid over a piece of paper and trace the size of the hole onto the paper and take the paper to the HBS; 3) or buy a new lid.

Later......

homebrewer_99 said:
I, too, put my airlock into the bung first. Then I just press on the top side of the bung to secure it, not the airlock. I've never had a bung go into a container yet. :D

Bungs come in lots of sizes.

As I see it, you have 3 choices: 1) Take your lid to the HBS to test drive their bung sizes; 2) place the lid over a piece of paper and trace the size of the hole onto the paper and take the paper to the HBS; 3) or buy a new lid.

Later......

Id just take the lid in, then you can feel how tight it is. Some of the bung sizes are very close, and you wont really know how it fits till you try it.

Thank you, guys, for the very helpful/descriptive suggestions.

No one likes a loose bung.

Back