best beer you ever had from a can

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Maui Coconut Porter and Bikini Blonde are both amazing canned beers. I like the Caldera beers, I think Old Chub is good, Ten Fidy is ok, and Gubna is not great, but I appreciate the packaging. As long as the beer is poured from the can into a glass.

Shipping cost is not the only cost associated with the packaging of beer and wine. I'm not sure about bag in box wine compare to bottled wine as far as packaging costs and environmental impact. Bottles can be recycled and increasingly are in communities across the US. The cardboard box that a box wine comes in is recyclable, but the mylar bag inside is not.

But when it comes to cans vs bottles, bottles wins hands down from an environmental impact perspective. Both are recyclable and both commonly are recycled. But glass bottles are much cheaper to produce than aluminum cans when you consider the entire manufacturing process.

Yes..............BUT. Suddenly, we have no place to recycle bottles. At least in our area, the cost of recycling glass became prohibitive for any of our facilities. No one that I know of (within 100 miles) will take any glass of any type.

I've only had the pork slap, but can't wait to try the rest. I also bought a bottle of Sierra Nevada homegrown estate ale. THAT beer is awesome.

Anybody know how to make my picture bigger? do i have to upload it bigger, or change it after I upload it?

I don't mind beer from a can provided it's served in a glass. Having said that, if I really want a beer, a can is fine. I just prefer a glass or a bottle.

I don't mind beer from a can provided it's served in a glass. Having said that, if I really want a beer, a can is fine. I just prefer a glass or a bottle.

well, to be fair, I don't drink out of bottles either. You just can't get everything out of a beer if it is in its shipping container.

We just received a beer trade from a guy in MN...

YK37Q.jpg

There's a lot of good beer in cans.

i like having Newcastle around but found it in a can the other day. I don't think i could go back!

I've never had it in a can but Newcastle on tap or even in a bottle is about my favorite commercial beer. I love the stuff.

Gotta love the BMC commercial.

An oldie but a goodie.

Last edited by a moderator:
I love canned beers. You don't expect to open a can of beer and smell a hop bomb, but when you do it kinda throws you off. Not in a bad way of course. I just had the pleasure to pour a glass of Gandhi Bot DIPA from a can a few weeks back. One of my top 3 in that style for sure.. it was delicious.

I just saw an octoberfest in the can from Sly Fox. I was gonna buy it, but I went with the Butternuts variety pack instead. I didn't know it was a PA brewery. I like to try local beers, haven't been let down yet......scratch that, Troegs Mad Elf was horrendous.

It's been said, but cans are better in pretty much every way. If you're the type of person that worries about can flavor, then you should be the type of person who carries around a glass even on party nights. I never drink from the bottle/can. You don't get the aroma or the visual aspect!

Yes..............BUT. Suddenly, we have no place to recycle bottles. At least in our area, the cost of recycling glass became prohibitive for any of our facilities. No one that I know of (within 100 miles) will take any glass of any type.

I live in a big city, which probably makes it reasonable for the recyclers here to recycle glass due to the volume and economies of scale. The city contracts with a waste company that picks up both garbage and recyclables. They send two different trucks around, weekly for garbage, every two weeks for recyclables.

Everyone is issued two 90 gallon garbage cans, one green and one blue. The green one is for non-recyclable garbage destined for the land fill. The blue one is for recyclable materials, including clean plastics #1 through #7, tin cans, aluminum cans, glass bottles and jars, paper cartons, newspapers, junk mail, paper bags, cardboard boxes, etc.

When I stopped bottling full time, all but my most favorite bottles went into the recycle bin over a period of several weeks. About 400 bottles.

I've been doing a lot of reading, and I'll concede that there is a lot of evidence that cans are environmentally better than bottles and are also better for the beer. I still prefer a bottle.

That said, I've never seen any craft brews in cans around Dallas. Just a few English imports. So perhaps the can craze hasn't caught on here. I might be looking in the wrong places. Anyone in the DFW area know where to get good craft beers in cans?

I can my own beer these days, but the can is a 5 gallon soda keg. :mug:

long live old chubb!!:rockin: oh, and being able to get brooklyn brewery lager @ citifield because it was in a can. priceless.

If I had a brewery I would put in a canning line. It's a superior package all around... no oxidation, less weight to ship, less space to store, no skunking problems. The up-front cost is greater ($180K vs $80K for an entry-level automated line), but over the long term I imagine it would be cheaper for the brewer, too. Bottles are really expensive.

Initial buy in for cans are still on the high side. Minimum of 100,000 per label. That takes up a fair amount of space.

I did see Blue Moon in cans on the last trip to my local liquor store.

I've said it before, but...

If anyone makes a cheap home can seamer and sells smaller quantities of cans, I think the homebrew community could make him a rich man.

Anyone had Caldera? That is awesome canned beer as well. Maui Brewing also cans.

Yeah, they're canning it a few miles from my house.

They don't bottle because of the expense.

One of the owners told me over a beer at the pub that canning was a drastically cheaper option for them, so they went that route. Thus I'm puzzled by all the posts saying it's more expensive.

Yeah, they're canning it a few miles from my house.

They don't bottle because of the expense.

One of the owners told me over a beer at the pub that canning was a drastically cheaper option for them, so they went that route. Thus I'm puzzled by all the posts saying it's more expensive.

From what I've gathered in the thread, it's a bigger initial investment so it's not feasible until a brewer is selling at a certain volume. As someone who never has room in my fridge for all the damned bottles, I welcome the canned movement with open arms.

Although Caldera's pale ale can is ugly as sin. Looks like store brand grape soda:

Caldera_pale_Ale_white_can.jpg

well, the title of this thread is a little misleading. Although there are amazing beers in cans, not all canned beers are amazing. I'm working on a variety 12er from Butternuts brewery, and they all taste kinda bland. I've been sick, so maybe my smell/taste buds are not working well. The Pork Slap isn't nearly as flavorful as I remember, which makes me think my cold is killing the tasting part of it. Then I think to myself that my mother in laws meat sauce at dinner was pretty darn tasty, so maybe the buds are working fine. I don't even know what I'm talking about.....g'night.

Surly. That is all.

+1, abrasive, bender, coffee bender, furious, bitter brewer..etc,etc..etc..

I don't often buy beer, but when I do it is usually a four pack of surly cans for inspiration......I love how they use oats in EVERYTHING!

THe only offering of theirs I don't like is this year fall beer surlyfest of whatever they call it...it just tastes wierd to me. Nothing a can of furious can't make me forget though.

When I live out in western new york, I drank a bunch of canned pale ale called porkslap I think...it was awesome, citrus and apricot notes...with caramel.

Initial buy in for cans are still on the high side. Minimum of 100,000 per label. That takes up a fair amount of space.

That (and the inability to change the 'label') is the main inhibitor to more breweries not canning. Actually canning lines take up next to no space in comparison to bottling lines.

My rant about bottles:

If you were a venture capitalist and someone came to you and said they were starting a company, and that they were going to manufacture a product, your next question would be, "How are you going to package it for sale?" They reply, "I'm going to put it in the most expensive, environmentally-unfriendly, expensive to ship, bulkiest, fragile, unstable, dangerous, least-recyclable container I can find, which has to be filled by incredibly large, noisy, complex, expensive, power-sucking machines, and then has to be labeled with messy quasi-toxic glue and expensive labels."

You would laugh in their face. But somehow, breweries get loaned money all the time to do just that.

Stigma or no stigma, cans are simply the best option. If you take a canning line and a bottling line of the same price, the canning line will be half the size, less complex (and therefore less likely to break), and MUCH faster. Cans are cheaper than bottles outright. They do not shatter into a billion pieces when dropped, throwing tons of harmful dust and shards everywhere. Bottles are very top-heavy, and like to tip over on conveyors for no reason at all, causing lots of stoppage and therefore lost productivity and money. More communities recycle cans, and it is cheaper for them to melt aluminum down than glass. They are quieter. Cans can be packed more efficiently, and therefore shipped more efficiently, saving money. They are pre-labled, eliminating the need for a labeler. They cool off faster in a cooler or refrigerator.

End rant. Thanks for listening.

Back