Best chiller option???

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

J-Malone

Reaction score
In the process of building a single tier, 3 keggles, one pump...

Question?
What are my best options for a wort chiller?

Btw, I am not forking over $200 for a Therminator, so that is out...

50' Immersion Chiller w/ recirculation?
25' DIY Counter flow?
20 plate chiller?

Just looking for advice...

thanks
jm

I guess it's more of personal preference. I use a 50' immersion chiller with a whirl pool attachment in my kettle. Can't say it's the best...but it works for me.

I think it's really a personal preference... I like my IC since it means I can easily use it anywhere with a hose faucet. A CFC would be my second choice, if I had the option of using any chiller I wanted... A 50' IC would still be my first choice though... I can't see myself using a plate chiller at any point. I'd rather not have my wort flowing through something to cool it, that I can't completely clean out between uses (and inspect too)... Or at least, not clean fairly easily. Can you even take a plate chiller apart? I'm actually getting ready to build a 50' IC within the next month or two. I'm using a 20' version now (made it myself)...

You can simply move the IC around in the wort being cooled and get much faster chill times. If you want to do a 'start it and walk away' method, then yes, circulate the wort via a pump while it's chilling. Otherwise, moving it around a bit will really help. Since you're going to be using a stand, it will be easier to move it around. You can use the water coming out of the IC to start your cleanup too.

Personal preference really, I've used IC's and water/ice baths...lately I've tried "no chill" w/ good results as well....can't beat the no chill for saving labor...hah

Back