Cocoa nibs and cold-brewed coffee to AHS Steamroller Stout

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bhodgson0739

Reaction score
Hey all,

I brewed Austin Homebrew's Steamroller Stout this weekend... it's in the Primary happily bubbling away...

I talked to one of the associates there when I got my ingredients about cold-brewing some coffee and adding it to the secondary for a month or so... maybe a couple of cups?

I am also thinking of adding some bourbon soaked cocoa nibs at the same time, but my goal is not to overpower the already supposedly great recipe... I'd just like to add a bit of a subtle touch for fun...

So here is the recipe:

10 lbs. Dark extract

steeped:

3/4 lb. Crystal 40L
2 oz. Chocolate
6 oz. Black roasted barley
1/2 lb 2-row malt
6 oz. black patent
3/4 oz gypsum

hops:

2 oz Brewers Gold at 60 min
1 oz Fuggle at 5 min

Double-pitched Wyeast Irish ale

I'm not sure how much/little of the coffee and cocoa to add in relation to the grain bill to achieve a subtle flavor addition but not overpower the recipe as it is...

I was thinking a couple cups of cold-brewed like we spoke of and maybe 3 oz. of cocoa nibs in the secondary for a month? Any thoughts/suggestions?

Thanks!

Too late to contribute, but how did this turn out?

Hey TXBrewGuy,

Turned out lovely. AHS's Steamroller Stout is damn good as it is... I didn't add the cocoa nibs this time; I plan to next time I brew it. I did add a couple of cups of cold-brewed coffee to the last half of bottling, and those bottles turned out great once they sat for a couple of months. If I would have had the patience to let them sit another several, I'm sure they would have been even better...

Back