light or dark toasted oak chips for Blind Pig IPA?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bguzz

Reaction score
I'm making a blind pig IPA clone. I know it is supposed to be oaked with chips, but do you think light toasted or dark toasted are in order? what would the difference in flavor be?

I made a clone of this and used 1oz of light chips for 7 days. The beer turned out WAY oaky after 4 weeks in the keg. It was drinkable, obviously, but I just wasn't getting any hop flavor from it at all. The oak covered everything else up. If I were you, I'd use less than 1oz or only let it sit on the chips for a few days.

There is no wood in the current Pig, if that's what you're attempting to clone.

Seems like it should have acorns in it. I always associate blind pigs with the expression that even one of them will find an acorn sometimes.

The first beer I ever made was an extract kit True Brew IPA and it came with 1oz of oak chips to put in at the end of the boil and leave in primary. It left me with a dark beer that had the hue of a brown ale. The taste was very oaky and it took about 6 weeks in the bottle before it became a pleasant drinking beer. It used chinook and amarillo hops but they didn't seem present in the taste.

There is no wood in the current Pig, if that's what you're attempting to clone.

Ditto this. Blind Pig is a nice hoppy American IPA....no oak involved. If you decide to oak it, you're best off using a light touch. I'd say use the light toast and make sure to frequently taste it so you can remove the oak before it gets too intense.

Back