need help with cleaning inside new keggle

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

djm8701

Reaction score
Hey guys, ne advice would help a lot. I began scrubbing inside a freshly cut keggle w a 'non scratch' pad and bkf after scrubbing the hell out of it to get the nasty off I noticed little scratches where I really had to punish it to get through, I know w aluminum this would ruin a batch but its stainless, ne worries, bad tastes, fixes ?? Thank u

Hey guys, ne advice would help a lot. I began scrubbing inside a freshly cut keggle w a 'non scratch' pad and bkf after scrubbing the hell out of it to get the nasty off I noticed little scratches where I really had to punish it to get through, I know w aluminum this would ruin a batch but its stainless, ne worries, bad tastes, fixes ?? Thank u

It doesn't really make much difference. Scratches can harbor bacteria and that is the big concern. But you are going to be boiling it and that negates any chance of the bacteria surviving. Scratches in a fermenter are a bigger concern since bacteria can survive that. With stainless steel, the scratches you make are much shallower and less of a concern than in most other materials.

Next time just leave it full of Oxyclean mixture, for a day or two, and it will probably get most of it without you having to work too hard or making minor scratches.

Also BKF being oxalic acid will actually help re-passivate the stainless. You should have no problems.

Ok thank u! Was a little worried. I'm gunna soak it before I finish scrubbing, n e think I should do before before the first boil in that thing or just clean it n brew?

Back